Printing Inkflow Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kas, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I have used an Epson Stylus C46 printer for about 4 years now with no trouble except the renewal of ink cartridges, one black and the other 3 basic colors.

I tried to print a letter today with some red highlights. It failed, the red did not print. Last time I used the printer was about a month ago.

I went through the Epson procedure of checking the amount of ink - about 40% full each cartridge, cleaning the nozzles and cleaning the printing head.
    I did an ink print test where the black and basic colors should come out in bar form - only the black printed.

No success. I printed a test letter with about a dozen colors on it - none came out.

My cartridges are quite old, perhaps 9 months or more and I do not use the printer very often. OK everybody says over 6 months for cartridges is time to renew and especially if the printer is not used much.

Easy, I can buy a new pair of cartridges at about $30, BUT will they cure the problem ?

Some nice person said that the printing head could be clogged or the piezoelectric material for each nozzle could be tarnished through lack of use or ink clogging. Then it means a new printing head. It would be better and more economic to buy a new printer.

Is it worth gambling $30 on new cartridges and maybe losing ? I have no alternative really but to do this.

Please can I have your valued opinions, obviously based on your much greater experience than me with printers and possibly advise the odds for or against success by fitting new cartridges.
    KAS
    :rolleyes:

2. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

dip the bottom of the cartridges in hot water in cup. I mean just the bottom!

wipe gently with tissue paper. Hopefully, you will see ink stains.

leave a few minutes to dry.

try printing a test page.

you may need to do a clean cartridges action.

if still no good needs new cartridge.

I wouldn't bother with new cartridges just get a new printer.

3. Kas

Kas Registered Member

=====

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I held the offending color cartridge nozzles end under semi-hot water in a dish for about 2-3 minutes, obviously avoiding the micro-chip. Wiped it with a tissue and put it back into the printer.

Typed a test page with red, blue, yellow, green and another color.
    Hit the printer button and IT ALL PRINTED PERFECTLY !
    So, it WAS a solidifying of the ink in the cartridge and NOT my nozzles being blocked.
    I will now see if I can get new cartridges from a supplier who does not want more money for them than a new printer costs.
    Ink cartridges are the biggest extortion racket outside of the Mafia.
    Thank you again
    KAS

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Epsons are fantastic but they are meant to be used at least once a week or they clog and the replacement heads are 70% of the price. After ruining three Epson photo printers I am now on Canon, build quality is lower than Epson and prints are OK but Epson photos are better, far more natural.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.