prim. ss should be= to 2ndary ss but it's not

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Banshee, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Hi,

I updated my secondary snapshot so I thought that once updated primary snapshot=secondary snapshot.

I checked the size and my primary ss is smaller. Primary= 4,05 gb but secondary ss=4,10 gb.

I thought they should be the exact same size ? :eek:

Maybe I am missing something ?

Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Banshee

How did you check them. Also do you have any data anchoring?

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Banshee,
    1. Go to Actions / Calculate Snapshot Size
    2. Calculate your primary snapshot
    3. Calculate your secondary snapshot.

And give us the numbers. :)

PS.: if you worked in your primary snapshot already you have to redo the copy/update and calculate your snapshots immediately after that.
    Also read the manual concerning calculate snapshots.

4. Banshee

Yes I do.

5. Banshee

>1. Go to Actions / Calculate Snapshot Size
    >2. Calculate your primary snapshot
    >3. Calculate your secondary snapshot.

Did that and they were different.I rebooted and they were the exact same :)

>PS.: if you worked in your primary snapshot already you have to redo the >copy/update and calculate your snapshots immediately after that.
    >Also read the manual concerning calculate snapshots.

I am not sure I understand this. Do you mean I have to do the copy/update, do it one more time and calculate ?

A reboot did the trick.And yes I'll go read the manual again re: snapshot calculations.

ErikAlbert, your help always appreciated.

B

6. ErikAlbert

Once you boot back in your primary snapshot, your harddisk is changed, even when you don't do much, an accidental updating of a log file in your system is enough to change the size of a snapshot.
    You don't have to worry about these small differences, if the copy/update was error-free.
    Keep in mind that Windows also works on your harddisk and changes things.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  7. Peter2150

Part of the difference would also be if there is data anchored which you say there is. Assuming you were in the primary, and there anchored data, when you copied to the secondary snapshot, it wouldn't contain the anchored data, so it would be smaller.

Pete

8. ErikAlbert

I don't think anchored data influences the size of primary and secondary snapshot. Anchoring is for both snapshots, if you copy/update the not-anchored objects are included only.

After reboot both snapshots were equal, which was IMO pure accidental, but the difference would have been alot bigger if it had something to do with anchoring and that was not the case.

9. Peter2150

It does Erik. If you are anchoring, and then remove it on the next copy you will see it copy the previously anchored data to the target snapshot. Conversely if you aren't anchoring, and then anchor, on the next copy FDISR will remove the anchored data.

10. ErikAlbert

Of course but that is a special situation, users don't change their anchoring in normal situations. Banshee didn't change the anchoring, that's why his snapshots were equal after reboot.

11. Banshee

Hi ErikAlbert,

I have no idea it was accidental but all I know is that after a reboot the 2 ss were the same size.

>PS.: if you worked in your primary snapshot already you have to redo the >copy/update and calculate your snapshots immediately after that.

I am not sure I understand. Do you have to *redo*(I take it you mean twice ?) the copy/update for the correct size to show ?

Thanks for you help

12. ErikAlbert

See if I can explain this in English. :D
    If you refresh your secondary snapshot with your primary snapshot, both snapshots are equal and have in theory the same size. So calculating both snapshots should give an equal size.

I don't know what you did with your computer after you wrote your first post and it could be possible, that you already worked in your primary snapshot and that means that both snapshots have a different size, because you worked in the primary snapshot.

If you want to calculate both snapshots again, to see if they are equal, you have to refresh your secondary snapshot again with your primary snapshot to make them equal and that's why I said you have to redo the copy/update FROM primary snapshot TO secondary snapshot.

I hope you understand it now, otherwise Peter or somebody else has to explain it in better English than me. :D

13. Banshee

This post cleared everything up.Thanks

14. Peter2150

I was scratching my head a bit at this size thing. I guess I just don't pay any attention to it, as my 2 snapshots are radically different in size and the recalculation doesn't apply to archives so it seems.

In all honesty I wouldln't worry about that very much. I think it's only purpose is to gage if you have enough room to add a snapshot. I think the most important thing to check in copy operations is the errors, or lack of them.

15. ErikAlbert

I fully agree and also my 2 snapshots are totally different. A copy/update between both snapshots would destroy one of them. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.