Price of AV Software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rasheed187, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Hi,

I was planning to buy KAV but I think it´s a bit expensive when I have to pay about 25 euro a year for signature + product updates. Are these prices normal? The only other AV´s that I´m interested in are Antivir Premium and the new NOD32 (not on the market yet). :rolleyes:

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

it's pricey but very good...nod32 (current version) is a bit less expensive...

3. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

The prices are normal, but maybe you should be on a look-out for various offers, from other e-shops than the company the develops the products.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Quality costs, Larry, you get what you pay with those discount brands like Nod32.............:D ;) :D

5. Rasheed187

But was it always like this? I mean about the prices for license renewal. I do not mind paying 40 euro once for the initial product purchase, but the renewal thing is bugging me. I think a fee of 10 euro per year would be acceptable, does anyone know what the prices are for AntiVir? :rolleyes:

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

good one, as you know I have both Nod32 on the laptop & Kis6 on the desktop...nothing like variety ;-)

now if was a bit less pricey (Kav) for multiple machines I'd have it on them all...

7. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

you got an ISP ? find out what they offer first, if you dont like their "free" softwares, check with your school or job, you may find free antivirus or discount products

8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Ah!!, nothing like the proverbial $.02 from the kaspersky biased banner-waivers here at Wilders, and also at the dedicated Kaspersky forum. :cautious: There are several "good" products that do not cost what Kaspersky costs, and is just as "good." NOD32 is cheaper than KAV, but is even cheaper if using a student or military discount. Avira is cheaper than KAV also. Those will give you "good" protection without the ever painful hit to the wallet which Don Pelotas seems to enjoy so much in him Kaspersky. I smell royalties? I wonder if you work off commission, Don? Me thinks thou must.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I plan on buying KIS 6 after my trial runs out.
    Kaspersky Lab Support sent me an e mail with a discount code after i told them I wanted to upgrade from KAV 6.

So if I want to buy KIS 6 for 2 years and add the discount code I'll get it for the price of 1 year.

I did this twice to make sure and both times I got the same price with the discount code, 2 years for the price of 1.

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Even worse for those of us with multiboot systems.
    I have been using NAV if only because it is commonly offerred free, or low cost, after rebates, and sometimes for the 3 user version.

11. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I personally do not buy software that does not have yearly subscription anymore. Especially security related. I do not believe that such software can survive in the long run. A software do need to be developed regularly (ie new versions on a regular basis) otherwise people starts to feel that their software is not up to date (even though the software doesn't have to be obsolete) Software that you pay for just once tends to be developed very slowly. Often it is "one man show" and they do only have so much time to devote to their project.

Anyway, I have moved on from NOD32 to DrWeb because of the price. If you rely on AV tests and want the "best" according to them, I guess NOD32 is the way to go. But I don't feel less secure just because Drweb doesnt have the same rating as the "best" AV´. Drweb has done a good job so far, but so did NOD32 the three years I did use it. It is a matter of price for me.

12. gyl

gyl Registered Member

hello! antivir premium for 2 years: 36€ very good product

13. n8chavez

Well that is roughly $46. NOD32's student discount price is $29.25/2 years. And Dr Web's migration discount is $33/2 years.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

16. Don Pelotas

You really must develop a sence of humour, n8chavez, it just makes life that little bit more fun ...............and no i do not get any commission....don't need it. :)

17. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

First get hold of Active Virus Shield and Cyberhawk, then send a cheque payable to betauser2 for however much you can afford. :D

18. n8chavez

Sadly, that was my attempt at humor. Of course I did not mean what I said litteraly. It was just rather weak attempt at amusement. Would you prefer I call you a "Kaspersky thumper?" All in good fun.

Nate

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avg security suite - £37 for 2-year licence,

also, norton internet security 2007 for less than £20 on ebay aswell

kis for about £20 on there somewhere

never pay full whack, there is somewhere always cheaper, and i know people will come back at me probably with cheaper prices than ive mentioned, buy hey ... its all still cheaper. :D

20. Don Pelotas

I have a thick skin, so yes i sure i would survive that too!;) :D

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Try the following combo
    - Antivir free
    - CyberHawk free
    - DataSentry free
    - Sandboxie free

22. Rasheed187

Thanks for the feedback, so renewal is expensive with NOD32 and AntiVir as well, bummer. I think 20 euro a year is too expensive, why do they not just offer signatures updates?Upgrades should be free.

Perhaps I should stick with the freeware version of AntiVir, problem is that I want spyware (and general anti malware) protection as well. And I also need a good registry monitor, that´s why I wanted to buy KAV. I might as well buy SSM Pro but I´m not happy about quite a few things (too noisy reg monitor, dislike some GUI stuff) So this whole situation sucks! :rolleyes:

I agree about AntiVir, but CH sucks bigtime, I already got two other powerful HIPS who are IMO a lot better at catching bad stuff: Neoava Guard and SSM Free. And they worked perfectly together with ZA Pro, but since I now have some serious problems with this tool (after upgrading) I will have to find myself a new firewall also. Of course all these new tools must be able to run correctly without any conflicts. :blink:

About the other tools, DataSentry is still a new product, it needs some testing and I´m already using Sandboxie, only not as a realtime browser security tool, not convenient enough at the moment.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i bet you can find some good savings on kav.

i found kis6.0 uk pricing £34.99 from amazon uk
    offical kaspersky price £50
    kav £30 offical and amazon price is £20

quite a good saving on both.
    if in the us they have good rebate deals.
    lodore

24. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

that was for americans only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.