PrevxSafeOnline And Trusteer Rapport

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by TerryWood, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I would appreciate some help please.

I am using PrevxSafeOnline Facebook edition and am entirely happy with it. One of my banks, HSBC is aggressively pushing me to use Trusteer Rapport.

I wrote to Trusteer to get some questions answered, such as whether their product protects all banks equally as does SafeOnline.

Their reply (this morning) was convoluted at best, and really didn't answer the question. Moreover, they claim "will provide you with more comprehensive protection"

I do NOT want to get into product bashing. I do however want to use the best protection, so can anyone with more knowledge than I explain whether there is any difference in coverage/protection of banks between SafeOnline and Trusteer.

Thanks

Terry

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It sounds like your bank signed a deal with Trusteer which means they have to promote their customers into using Trusteer. If that's the case, I would not care what your bank tells you.

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I also keep getting Trusteer pushed on me by my bank. My own evaluation, for many of the reasons posted in the links from Pegas, has led me to the firm conclusion that SafeOnline represents the best protection.

5. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Pegas

You must have what we are all searching for that is Nirvana. You are able say that I did not use search with some conviction!

I did search, and I found two of the three articles you put forward, both of which are voluminous in content and do NOT answer the SIMPLE question I posed. Neither does the third article.

May I request that, if it bothers you so much to reply without rancor, then don't do it.

I would much prefer people to be nice and answer the simple question posed.

Thank you

Terry

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Well, if you feel from my post any arrogance or wrath, I am sorry for that indeed and you can be sure that it is not my approach. The main reason I posted only links was to show you that the simple answer you are calling for simply doesn't exist. That's all.

7. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Nice attitude. :thumbd:

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In MRG online safety testing, both were equally good.
    In my own testing, Rapport failed miserably, not sure why!!!

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Personally, I don't tend to use what some institution suggests. Most likely, they have some benefits to suggest Trusteer Rapport.

Ask your bank if, in the eventuallity your system becomes compromised, if they assure you Rapport will cover your "wallet", and if they're willing to restore it back if it doesn't, considering they're promoting it. ;)

10. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

SafeOnline out of the box will protect all HTTPS websites and a number of other websites whereas Trusteer requires manual configuration and can only protect a specific number of websites.

Going into a technical argument would seem biased but the various independent tests actually don't even scratch the surface of how deep SafeOnline's protection goes. Users tend to look at the screen grabbing, keylogging, clipboard stealing as the main protection but this is actually the easiest and least practically useful protection (although SafeOnline's works quite well and hides all keystrokes without "encrypting" them like other products do, which actually ends up lowering protection). The real value from SafeOnline comes from data isolation from advanced threats (Zeus, SpyEye, Silon, Torpig, etc.) running on the PC and within the browser.

These are massively more difficult to defeat than keyloggers but this is where SafeOnline's real strength is :)

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I don't like being pushed a product, so I would not install it because your bank wants it. As long as you can log into your bank account without Trusteer installed I wouldn't use it, also because of their reply to your email. Do check your contract/agreement with your bank though in case they only refund with Trusteer installed ;)

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Specific no? Can,t you just add as many sites as you want?
    How? You mean just by malware detection itself or there are other things/ approaches involved too?

Thanks

13. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

When I last tried Trusteer, they only allowed three websites to be configured in the free version. I believe the paid version allows you to add up to 100 websites but it still requires manual configuration for each, while Prevx automatically protects all of them all the time.

SafeOnline works very differently to Trusteer under-the-hood. The malware detection components are certainly a key piece of the full Prevx suite but there are far more substantial differences between the protection itself in SafeOnline.

However, I don't feel it would be appropriate to discuss them here for proprietary purposes for both Trusteer and us as this is a highly competitive area.

14. martop

martop Registered Member

I have tried both products for some time, Rapport was the first one because my bank was pushing it with a 'use it or else' attitude so I used it but I found it a little memory hungry and its pain to add a site manualy. I now use the free version of prevX and it works out of the box and seems lighter and it works with OA when I have a browser in 'run safe mode' though I loose the green border in the browser. ( no big deal and I know why thanks to a thread I read )

I know nothing about testing browser protection but I FEEL more protected with prevX, its more freindly and I can understand what it tells me, Rapport on the other hand seems limited to reports of browser attacks and other things I dont understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.