Prevx's Updater-a sleepy one? to say the least

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Perman, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:just learn from Castlecops' prevx forum that there is a new build 107 available from its web site. I routinely check update thru built-in updater, it has not alert any update yet; Ironically the update is available since last Friday. What is going on? In the past I have raised similar questions more than one occassion, each time Prevx comes up with some sort of excuses; you can fool everyone once, but can not fool one twice. I just wonder the effectiveness of this security app--not efficient at all. Prevx releases an update. That means present build is not that effective any more, but if that lifeline can not be delived to clients who heavily rely on its protection day in and day out, why do we need Prevx for? A after fire salvage app ?

2. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Hi Perman,

Unlike other security products, the protection offered by Prevx is not reliant on the software version that you are running; every version of Prevx software receives malware determinations in real-time when they are for them. Software updates are for introducing new look and feel elements etc and for bug fixing.

When we release an update we stagger the availability of it to the userbase so that we get a steading flow of agents downloading the update. We aren't the only company that use staged deployment of updates.

You are of course able to download the latest installer manually and use that if you don't want to wait for your agent to be handed the update automatically.

Also, Fridays release was for new installations only, not for existing user updates. Existing user updates were only made available today.

Regards,

Darren

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Darren: Thanks for the reply. But I still have one question; after I update Prevx to build 107, I click updater, it d/l one new security program and one new security setting. Those updates are not available thru old build 87 at all. Is this a time lag ? Since you mentioned that build 107 is for new installation while regular users with build 87 have to wait 3 days to get the very same updates. Does this mean you have two tiers update servers? One for new business, and another for "you have to wait" existing clients. Funny business practices.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

I have build 86, can I install build 107 on top of 86, or must I remove 86? Also updater says I'm current, while Prevx site download has 107 available, can't find the update at CastleCops.

Take Care
    Rico

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks; First delete 86 w/prevx's built-in uninstaller, reboot. Then d/l from its web site (build 107), be caution, there is a BUG there; After installation, do not activate yet, rather, to reboot.Then enter your code to activate. And need to update the database. At this point your task is completed. Good luck.

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Mmph
    OK so build 107 available for ~4 days: when I run updater from build 86:
    "you are up to date"

??
    My updater broken ?
    How long is the delay till servers up to date?
    :(

PS thx for note about the "bug" Perman.
    :thumb:

7. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Perman, glad the trick worked for you, but I'm still receiving this error when trying to activate key. Support was notified Friday w/same screenshot but no reply yet. Still waiting....

Attached Files:

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, PatG: Hope this can be helpful; after installation b 107, press start trial, then reboot. After Windows is running again, open Prevx's window, enter code to activate. Good luck.

9. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Still no joy, same error. And this time, used 3 reg cleaners, Regedit, Regseeker, and AWC to locate/delete all Prevx entries. Guess I am at the mercy of Support. :(

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Build 112 is available at its web site and majorgeeks, another exclusive offer for new business ? Activation bug remains !, no relief in sight yet, however my trick=reboot trial version then activate it , does work again, luckily. Take care, Prevx fans out there.

11. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Thank you, Perman! Would not have known about the update until reading your post. Went and dl'd, shutdown Prevx and installed.....holding my breath all the time, especially when entering my license key and hitting the "Activate" button. And it WORKED! Got my 342 days of protection back. Gonna make an image right now, so in case anything else goes wrong, will have a good copy installed. Thank you again!! :D

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Pat, you are welcomed. Good for Prevx thou, at least they got one happy customer back. :eek:

13. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

If you can activate a trial but not a license key, it usually means the DB doesn't thing its a valid license key. Please PM me the license key you are using and I'll see what the DB says about it. Or, PM me the email address that you used on your support call and I'll follow through from that.

Darren

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Darren: Thanks for the reply. I could not activate the trial copy right after installation. After reboot, I tried again it did work. My lic is the one offered by Giveawayoftheday.com on early July this year, which was a volume keys(1000). It has worked since day one until build 102. Take care.

15. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Found Prevx bld 112 waiting for me try & install resulted in

internal error 2753, PXconsole.exe 17

reboot Prevx bld 107 intact, shutdown Prevx go to all programs & choose 'Remove Prevx' message this option only for installed products. Nexd add/remove programs this removed Prevx. Reboot shutdown all tray items, install bld. 112, enter license no problem.

Take Care
    Rico

Congrats! PatG

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.