PrevxEdge vs Threatfire vs MBAM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by galileo, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galileo

galileo Registered Member

What are the merits, pros/cons, and security coverage, etc. of each of these versus the other of these. I am interested in quantitative facts not personal opinions, likes, or dislikes....;)

In particular, using only one of these three not some combination of them.

I know opinions can be strong on a topic such as this...please attempt to constrain personal opinion and address actual product capabilities...or deficiencies.

Thanks

galileo

2. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Well Threatfire is fundamentally different from either of the two other products.

3. galileo

galileo Registered Member

How does that difference manifest itself in security versus the other two products? Does TF prevent something that the others don't or does TF not prevent something the others do?

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Prevx Edge and ThreatFire both do malware detections by behavior. Edge does its behavioral pattern recognition on its servers, while ThreatFire does its behavioral pattern recognition on your computer. Thus, ThreatFire will probably use more of your computing power (but maybe not enough to even be noticeable), while Edge will be blind to new malware without Internet access.

ThreatFire will check a list of malware on the Internet, but only after bad behavior has already occurred. ThreatFire does have some ability to roll back changes made by malware though. Edge, on the other hand, can sometimes spot malware before installation, because Edge consults the malware blacklist before a program is loaded.

Because the determinations made by Edge are automated, if only 1 person with Edge has encountered a particular piece of malware before, and Edge determined that it indeed was malware, the 2nd Edge user who experiences the same malware may be warned before installation. ThreatFire does not have this ability in an automated sense, although PC Tools can develop new signatures for its malware scanner based upon malware encountered.

ThreatFire has the ability to make custom rules. Edge does not.

Edge can be used as a malware scanner, and does not store malware signatures locally. ThreatFire is able to use a separate free malware scanner from PC Tools which stores malware signatures locally.

I'm not an expert on either product, so if anything here is mistaken, then I hope somebody corrects any erronious statements.

I have not used MBAM enough to give comment. It's not usually thought of as a competitor to ThreatFire or Prevx Edge, except that all three are in the anti-malware sphere. Competitors to MBAM include programs such as SUPERAntiSpyware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.