Prevx2

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

So just what would be your major expectations for their new version coming in a little over 2 weeks.

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks; major expectations? no, no, just little man's little wish: a smooth as silk transformation, no system hiccups, better than any others always. and retaining another :thumb: or perhaps :thumb: :thumb: :-*

3. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

along with a smooth transition, i hope for more thorough clean-up, and better consistency in what Prevx stops/catches. after testing Prevx1 against DFK, it allowed enough of the payload through to shutdown Nod32 & OA, though it did jail the major portion of the payload 'playmovie.exe' my system was not owned but damage did occur. Prosecurity which i was testing at the time and Online Armor both after my allowing the initial exe, prompted each action the blended attack executed, allowing me to stop it at nearly any point.

with Prevx2 i am looking for more of an evolutionary rather than revolutionary approach to it's continued development.

Mike

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I just hope it detects even more malware and that it runs light(er).

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Will the current version be updated if you have it on your computer?

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Only 1. A Choice :)

My highest expectations of Prevx1 would be for it to offer a choice between updating to the local user's machine, the database, as opposed to depending entirely on internet site connection for the determinations it makes.

Don't get me wrong, i see Prevx1 in action just like it is and it's one fierce & formidable security program unlike any others of it's kind, it's just that some of us are not exactly in line with the notion of it having to rely strictly on connecting to the community website for it to be effective. The same, or nearly enough the same, can easily be accomplished also by using a local user's machine with the stored database like most other Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus apps.

Thats all.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yes it will

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Irregardless of any of the other security programs i use and highly recommend, if that day comes Prevx1 also supports updating a local Db on user's machine i'll be one of the first to knock over cans to get to it. Because i know it's that good. :)

9. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

if it had a lighter resource usage I'd consider using it. Its very nice but doesn't play well with my laptop.

10. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Same here!

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well hopefully maybe this time it will.:)

12. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I'm testing Prevx2 now.

PxAgent is using about 5,000k, PxConsole about 5,500k, PxVistaSvc 540k. Pretty light I think, I don't notice any performance hit, apart from a windows boot.

My main issue is the confusing UI & poor help screens. Also the apparent inability to whitelist programs yourself.

So, a customer installs an application, say some vertical market software. Prevx puts the program in jail (as it did with my katmouse software) & then I get support calls asking why the customer's software won't work!

An irritant is that it loads IE7 instead of the default browser.

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

It doesn't load IE7 here but a new Firefox tab.
    Aren't we supposed to post issues directly to P. instead posting on Forums? He asked for that. :)

Gerard

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Correct. Bad Biscuit.:cautious:

15. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Well looks like they gone public with the beta today. So I guess we can talk about it. But I have no complaints.
    Prevx2 beta has been stable as hell in my XP Pro machine, no problems what so ever. But then again I have never had any big problems with Prevx1 all the time I have used it. The small issues I have had has been dealt quickly by talking directly to Prevx support. Much faster than in forums. Even though I abuse my computer quite alot with many install and uninstalls of software that are bound to leave traces that could conflict with future installs, Prevx1 and 2 has had no problems.

Disclaimer: As always; just because any software is stable in one machine doesnt mean that it will be in yours. All configurations are different. Thats just the (Windows?) computing world.

I see that they released a Vista beta version of of Prevx2. Im off to test that to see if it is as stable as the Prevx1 beta for vista version.

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Prevx2 without the blacklist part is my personal wish.
    It would make the community database also much smaller.
    What is made by the good guys is always reliable and known.
    What is made by the bad guys is always unreliable and unknown until it is discovered by the good guys. :)

17. WSFuser

well the Prevx2 beta is working well on my machine. So far, no complaints to make.

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Installed it, and i have to say, the GUI is so much better. Everywhere. More functional, less distractions. The details of the license are a click away, out of my face.
    I like it, lets see how it behaves.

19. Biscuit

I have already posted a question to support, but with no response. I like to use forums as then support depts can't give me the "no-one else has reported this" thing! It appears to me that there are 2 versions of Prevx2 beta, 1 for Vista & 1 for older os systems. It seems a little odd to develop a major update in this way? Some of my issues may be specific to the Vista version of the beta.

20. Biscuit

I downloaded the beta from the link posted on CastleCops.

The text in the posting reads:
    This does not state WHERE feedback should be made.

21. WSFuser

and heres another text:

22. Biscuit

I didn't even look at that one, it was for a different download!

23. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The Prevx2 beta is now open, if anyone wants to try it. Details HERE. Vista users should pay particular attention to the note at the top, there is indeed a separate version for Vista.

If anyone has been having any issues with Prevx1, they are encouraged to try this version. It's still beta, so all standard disclaimers still apply, but thus far it has been quite stable.

Any and all feedback is welcome, as noted in a previous post please do send it in through support.

24. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have checked it out and just like with Prevx1 I´m not impressed at all. I really don´t understand why they chose to make the main window unresizable, stupid idea. Also, the HIPS part looks to be very powerful in theory, but after a few simple tests, I noticed that it´s not doing a good job. :thumbd:

25. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You realize of course how that doesn't help anyone.:rolleyes:

Resizeable window: i noticed the cursor does change. It seems that i can change the size, but i can't. My guess: it's still beta, should be possible in the final release. Notok?
    If not, i think it should.

The tests you speak of are probably about Prevx1. But i don't know which tests. It doesn't help me as a user:thumbd:

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.