Prevx2: unable to uninstall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Biscuit, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Trying to uninstall Prevx2, I get this error:

Error 1316
    A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\windows\installer\UPDATEPrevx2.msi

(That directory does not exist on my system)

Can anyone help?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Biscuit

Thanks, but I'm not sure this is a Windows installer issue, more a problem specifically with prevx2?

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Biscuit, reinstall over it then uninstall. I have a thought there was a issue with the updater yesterday. Give it a try and see what happens.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

6. Biscuit

Thanks, I ran the removal tool & rebooted. Prevx now no longer runs, but it's still in add/remove programs. Clicking uninstall from there gets the same error message again.

7. Biscuit

Wow, that was trouble!

I had to use JV16 to clean the registry & also to clean out some parts of the installation too. Prevx then seemed to break WinPatrol. I then used the remove option of the Prevx installer to try to get it out of add/remove. The Prevx agent was still sitting in add/remove, so I used CCleaner to run the uninstaller & then rebooted. I had to use WinPatrol to remove the Prevx browser helper object.

Could Prevx2 be harder to uninstall than Norton? :eek:

8. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I have never had problems installing or uninstalling P2. Did you try installing it again, rebooting, running the Prevx removal tool, then rebooting?

9. Biscuit

No I didn't. Uninstalling Prevx is a known problem area. I have had issues before & Prevx have 2 or 3 removal tools available!

10. Threedog

Prevx Help will probably be around later on and I am sure he has a few tricks up his sleeve to help out.

11. Biscuit

Just to confirm, Prevx2 is now uninstalled... after a little bit of trouble....

12. Threedog

Congratulations. Maybe it's the Vista part that made the uninstall harder. I use XPSP3 so that may be why I usually don't have any problems when I uninstall it. I usually take the lazy man's route though and just restore an image that don't have Prevx on it.

13. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Sorry about that everyone! I was asleep so I completely missed the thread :D

Prevx 2 does have some known issues with uninstalling, and a lot of them are just due to the complexities of the MSI install process. In v3 these are corrected and uninstall/install is far more straightforward, so, you shouldn't run into these problems anymore :)

Glad everything got uninstalled for you tho! Please let me know if you run into any future problems removing it and I should be able to walk you thru removing each component.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.