Prevx2: unable to uninstall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Biscuit, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Trying to uninstall Prevx2, I get this error:

Error 1316
    A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\windows\installer\UPDATEPrevx2.msi

(That directory does not exist on my system)

Can anyone help?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Biscuit

Thanks, but I'm not sure this is a Windows installer issue, more a problem specifically with prevx2?

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Biscuit, reinstall over it then uninstall. I have a thought there was a issue with the updater yesterday. Give it a try and see what happens.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

6. Biscuit

Thanks, I ran the removal tool & rebooted. Prevx now no longer runs, but it's still in add/remove programs. Clicking uninstall from there gets the same error message again.

7. Biscuit

Wow, that was trouble!

I had to use JV16 to clean the registry & also to clean out some parts of the installation too. Prevx then seemed to break WinPatrol. I then used the remove option of the Prevx installer to try to get it out of add/remove. The Prevx agent was still sitting in add/remove, so I used CCleaner to run the uninstaller & then rebooted. I had to use WinPatrol to remove the Prevx browser helper object.

Could Prevx2 be harder to uninstall than Norton? :eek:

8. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I have never had problems installing or uninstalling P2. Did you try installing it again, rebooting, running the Prevx removal tool, then rebooting?

9. Biscuit

No I didn't. Uninstalling Prevx is a known problem area. I have had issues before & Prevx have 2 or 3 removal tools available!

10. Threedog

Prevx Help will probably be around later on and I am sure he has a few tricks up his sleeve to help out.

11. Biscuit

Just to confirm, Prevx2 is now uninstalled... after a little bit of trouble....

12. Threedog

Congratulations. Maybe it's the Vista part that made the uninstall harder. I use XPSP3 so that may be why I usually don't have any problems when I uninstall it. I usually take the lazy man's route though and just restore an image that don't have Prevx on it.

13. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Sorry about that everyone! I was asleep so I completely missed the thread :D

Prevx 2 does have some known issues with uninstalling, and a lot of them are just due to the complexities of the MSI install process. In v3 these are corrected and uninstall/install is far more straightforward, so, you shouldn't run into these problems anymore :)

Glad everything got uninstalled for you tho! Please let me know if you run into any future problems removing it and I should be able to walk you thru removing each component.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.