Prevx2 Temporary activation expires today

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Biscuit, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Ouch!

Loads of calls from customers & my own software is displaying this too! Clicking my licence settings, I have 180 days left.

What's going on? o_O

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Sorry about that - this was a bug on our end in the process of establishing the new databases, just caused some 10,000 license warnings on a portion of the community and completely flooded our inbox as well.

It should be fixed now.

3. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I'll bet, it panicked a few of my customers too!

:eek: :D

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

working on those servers, or gearing them up. lol

5. PrevxHelp

Doing a substantial amount of hardware upgrades, as well as improving all of the server-side software to handle a large influx of users in the coming weeks :D

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

that you can be assured of.:thumb:

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

one last thought, within my guidelines, people who know me well can take faith in, there is a change a coming, just exhibit a little patience and you will see. I stake what little reputation I have on it.:rolleyes:

8. PrevxHelp

Thanks for your constant support :D I will second the assertion of significant change coming just across the horizon :)

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

are you guys building a network firewall within in the near feature?

10. PrevxHelp

There are many firewalls already, and our software will work alongside them, so, I personally don't see any real benefit brought by integrating it.

We'd rather focus on advanced threats that others miss rather than duplicating features found in dozens of free products :)

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I still like my firewall in my router over a software one.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i see:thumb:

13. PrevxHelp

I completely agree. Software firewalls are incredibly inexact and most of the time they're just duplicating features of HIPS or AVs. I much prefer hardware protection when it comes to firewalls, especially for the reduction in false positives.

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You've tried/tested a lot of products, so you would know a good product from a poor one. So your reputation, is all good. :thumb:

15. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Excuse me if my question is dumb (i never used an hardware firewall).........if some malware succeed in getting in, say while browsing, and the try to go out and do his things is this kind of firewall going to help me or not?

16. ako

ako Registered Member

I have no reputation whatsoever :) , but I assure that trjam is right! :thumb:

17. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Dont count on it :D

18. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Exactly my thought.............so i don't understand PrevXHelp post, let's say..............against software firewall and in favor of the router firewall.

They are both needed/useful and have different tasks.

Best Regards

19. PrevxHelp

I'm not completely against software firewalls (some users may want to see the extra prompting) - they just duplicate a lot of functionality from other applications. They can also be exploited/circumvented/terminated within the local OS very easily by malware or a confused user (not to mention excessive prompting leading to zombie-like Trust clicking...)

Most software firewalls tout "outbound protection". If malware is already so deep in your system that it can send data out from your computer, it could basically do whatever it wants (including terminating your software firewall entirely), so, I don't see the benefit at that point (and, would most users even notice the alert if they've become accustomed to clicking Trust/Allow?)

A software firewall is going to do nothing to actually remove the infection - it will just tell you: "something is trying to talk out".

20. aieie

aieie Registered Member

But it can help you to see that something is not right in your system.....even seeing it terminated is a sympton you can notice.

And for the users that always trust / allow.................nothing can save them.

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You also have to be able to decipher what the warning is telling you in order to make the right choice. And for most users, that is the hard part.

22. PrevxHelp

Yes, very true. If the user is intelligent enough to distinguish the actual meaning of the prompt within the context of their system/other security, then by all means they should use it as long as it doesn't drag things down.

However, there are a number of HIPS products which do duplicate the software firewall functionality, so, there could be some overlap which may cause incompatibilities. It is something to consider in a security "arsenal", but I still don't recommend it to users as I tend to think that users don't want to be given that extra prompt if they didn't know what the other prompts meant that lead the program to be installed anyway.

Most of the users that I recommend things to have a hard enough time attaching files to emails and definitely don't notice what their security apps are doing :)

23. aieie

aieie Registered Member

I, sadly, understand which kind of users are you talking about :(

Here at office some consider firewall as "that annoying yellow message in english (not our native language) on the left corner where you always answer yes".

But they can allow to think so, since whenever they have a prob they want me to clean, and quickly, the thing.

On the other hand, i was able to make my brother, not a tech at all, understand the basics of firewall and which answers he can give with no problema at all....on his personal PC.

:D

24. PrevxHelp

Hahahaha :D Too true!

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It all comes down to skill level the majority of users rank at the bottom. Not here.

I have even heard where some cant even a dos-command prompt and enter a simple command to execute. Brother!:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.