Prevx1 or Counterspy?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by corkee, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corkee

corkee Registered Member

Hello,

Which ones in your opinion is better protection for a laptop? I have tried both but still cannot decided whether Prevx is better or Counterspy. Maybe your opinions can help me decide.

Thanks.
    --Corkee.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well theyre both different programs. counterspy being an antispyware and prevx1 being a CIPS (sorta like HIPS).

id personally go with prevx1 as it offers more broad protection.

3. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I've never used Prevx, but I used CounterSpy for over a year. I renewed my subscription for it in October, but had to uninstall it. If they ever get the bugs worked out of it , it might be OK, but as it stands right now it takes up a lot of resources and causes instability on my system. Since I paid for CounterSpy, I may reinstall it after get out of beta, but not now. Also, have you considered other programs, such as Online Armor. There is a beta version you can try for free - very stable - seems more comprehensive than Prevx with two additional pluses: No phoning home info to the mother ship, and no need to pay if you ever get infected. The Online Armor program also has a lot of features I've never seen in one program before. Another great thing is that if you try out the beta, you will get a free commercial key at the end of the testing period. Anyway, worth checking out.

4. corkee

corkee Registered Member

Yes, I've tried Online Armor. In fact, I have the beta version on my main computer. I must admit, it is very stable. I would just like to use something different on my laptop besides Online Armor. I'll probably go with Counterspy. Thanks for your opinions by the way.

--Corkee.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would go with the newest version of Prevx, you could just about go with it and nothing else.

6. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I have used Prev1 and Cyberhawk and I'd have to say hands down, I prefer Cyberhawk. You hardly ever notice it is running.

I am not hugely techie so I am not sure if one provides more security than the other, but to me, they appear to do a similar thing, although you can pay for Prev1 to actually remove any malware.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Could someone explain this further?

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Prevx1 is free to use on your PC. If you never get any malware, it can be used indefinitely for free. If you do get infected, you have to pay a fee to remove the detected infection (or use something else to remove it or leave it as is).

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Detection is always free. Malware protection and removal is on a 30 day trial starting only after Prevx1 detects malware for the first time. After the trial expires, you can purchase a 1 month, 3 month, or 12 month license, but it will still continue to detect malware for free. That means you can let it detect malware and clean the infection yourself, purchase a 1 month license to clean up as needed, or purchase a longer license for more continual protection. There's been some confusion for some reason, but if you have a license then you do not need to purchase anything else to clean up malware, only if you're using it in the [free] detection-only mode after the trial has expired. The concept behind this is that you shouldn't have to pay for it if you haven't seen it actually work.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You only have to pay after 1 month. It will detect and clean the malware, and then you have 1 month to make up your mind, whether you want it or not. After that, it will only detect, not clean.

The perfect trial basically.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Agreed and when I asked for someone to explain further, I was speaking in general terms. ;) :D But thanks to you and Notok for answering.

12. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

actually Notoks response is spot-on accurate. :thumb: :thumb:

Mike

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I just looked at PREVX website,and it says it can be a replacement, or as an extra. I have NOD32 Webroot Spysweeper,and KerioPF 4.3.268 installed, would this benefit me? or would it be too clumsy and spend up resources :rolleyes:

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Prevx1 won't catch cookies:) .
    I think no way WSS is better than Prevx1. CCleaner will get those cookies, if the browser doesn't already.

WSS will maybe top Prevx1 scanning inactive files and such for spyware. Being a dedicated app. Prevx1 analyzes what runs, and also scans.

I've heard WSS is heavy already, so only you might know if your computer can handle anything else and let you work properly.

Does SpySweeper (WSS) catch anything for you? What files? Downloads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.