Prevx1, OA - glitches: two queries, for the price of one!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SG1, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Lately, for some reason, Prevx1 Console vanishes from SysTray but Agent's still running:. Ideas on what happened, or a way to fix this? Does Console load first, thus, calling Agent into play or vice versa?

==================

Elsewhere, Online Armor seems stricken dumb when I have a sudden crash or "rude reboot," and then OA will again ask about this or that app, nearly as bad as Spysweeper asking me 45,000 times if it's OK for a few trusted apps to run. {Thankfully, I don't have to retrain other apps, notably PG, so why only OA going on the blink, acting as though it's newly installed? This isn't first time that this has happened}. And, yes, I do have most recent ver. installed, updated, etc.

Thanks, for any thoughts/help, on this SG1 (Pat)

2. muf

muf Registered Member

Yes, the problem with losing the OA config settings has been covered. Mike has promised to(quickly) get to providing us with a config file that we can backup. It does appear that on 'most' occasion's that you get a lock up while in windows and have to do a power off/on reset that OA loses it's settings. Once Mike puts this config file backup option in place then we can all get our permission's done and then back them up. This for me is a 'desperate must'. I've had it happen 3 or 4 times in the last 8 months and it is very annoying.

muf

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Guys,

This should now be in place with the version I released yesterday. If you still have this problem, it will mean a much larger review of how we manage the config files.

Mike

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Are you sure this isn't Windows XP just auto-hiding the icon? To check, just click the round left-arrow button on the left edge of your system tray.

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

For me, the damned icon for Prevx1 never seems to remember it's supposed to be hidden when the program restarts from updating. Emailing support about it today.

6. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Notok;

1) I "don't do" any of the auto hide icon stuff; don't like that as just a personal view. Likewise, I don't want black hat stuff hiding on this PC either, of course.

2) In fact, today a few times I'd even Dbl Clk Console to fire it up and began to look through app/dialog boxes, and it out of the blue shrank to the SysTray, and then if I went to open it again, it then disappeared. And, I then also noticed several times in past 24 hrs. or so, that the Agent part of app was also no longer running. So... time for a reinstall, or uninstall, methinks.

SG1 (Pat)

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I have found that to be true with just about any program. It's Windows that actually keeps track of what is supposed to always show/hide, and what should hide when inactive, so there's not much that we could really do.

This is definitely not right. If you haven't already, can you submit this to Support?

8. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Notok;

Yes, if you like, I can fire that off to Support & see what they think.

I've had my share of oddities on this PC over time, and I've been using Startup Guru for a while. SG was listed at (tech-pro?) site when I was reading & following links possibly from a mention on Microsoft's web site, about a workaround for the XP PRO "feature" of icons not always appearing in the SysTray as they should.

Regards, SG1 (Pat)

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I'd appreciate the link, if you have it :)

10. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Notok;

Below link is some info, re missing icons; if I can't find or didn't save link to MS knowledge base article, I may've saved whole web pages & if I did (and if I find them), will send all to you.

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

SG1 (Pat)

* Found it! At this next link (and some info), you will see two links at bottom of page, and last one is to an MS article.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/trayicons.htm

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  11. muf

muf Registered Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. What did you do if you don't mind me asking. I expected to find an additional button in OA that allows me to migrate the config file to a location of my choice. Is it the dat files in the main folder? Should i manually back them up?

muf

12. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi muf,

Basically all that was done is to change the way that the automatic backup of files is handled on updating the config file, and the recovery process. So, if the primary OA config file is corrupted "rude reboot" as one user put it, we have a valid backup and we use that.

Mike

13. muf

muf Registered Member

Ah, right gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. Fingers crossed next time i do a 'rude' reboot. I'll let you know what happen's.

And again, thank you for looking into this and doing something about it. It is very much appreciated. :)

muf

14. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Mike;

NOPE... was in fact reading forums here today, had "rude reboot" (and I first used that phrase, so I'll have to trademark it). <grin>

Anyway, at bootup, OA started right in with Wizard or config. check for apps and then next would have been system scan, if I recall. The backup thing ain't working, (or not on this PC).

And with all resultant pop ups asking about this and that app... as I recall the OA files if tracking an app could get big, quickly... how about just a default "Don't ask again" box being checked, with option to check the "Track it" choice, or maybe even simple Allow/Forbid button, and then an option to "Track it" if one wishes to.

SG1 (Pat)

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yes, I was just about to post and thank you for coining that term.

OK, I suppose we'd best write a tool that will BSOD the computer on demand, and see what we can discover.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.