Prevx1 NOT free to use!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PhoenixWeb, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I contacted Prevx yesterday with this issue. See below for my message, and the Prevx reply.

Hi

I downloaded and used Prevx1 for a few days a month back. I had a clean system and I never had to use Prevx1 to remove any malware.

I removed Prevx1 from my system to try CyberHawk, but I have since decided to go back to Prevx1. The problem is when I try to install it, it is saying I need to pay as my trial period has expired...

Now I understood Prevx1 was free to use providing it didn't find any infections (as was/is my case), so why am I being told I now need to pay to use it again?

The Prevx1 reply in its entirety:

Hi, It is free to use providing you continue to use the product and do not uninstall. We will look at changing this in the future.

Quotes from the Prevx website:

We believe that if your PC is never infected then Prevx1 should not cost you a thing. It should be completely free. And so it is.

You can use Prevx1 completely free of charge to monitor your PC for infection.

It's NOT free for me to use!

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Probably thinks youre trying to beat the time limit after a detction / removal by uninstall / reinstall as per most trial based software.

Problem is, how do they tell between you and someone who doesnt want to pay?

3. PhoenixWeb

I realised that I wouldn't get the free trial again which includes removal of malware etc. I only want to use Prevx1 again in its free capacity as everyone else can once the trial period has finished.

I don't see why it should be a problem to reinstall it. To me it should just start up again, but work only in the free mode without the malware removal facility.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I do share your concern and experiences. I did try Prevx1 months back, encountering compatibility problem w/ ZA pro, so I switched to Prosecurity free. Not too long ago, I decided to come back to Prevx1 camp, facing the same situation you just have. I really like this app(updated version has solved ZA pro problems), and what I did is to pay 1 month(minimun) fee and use it. I guess when the subscription is up, as long as it is not deleted, I can use its free version for as long as I wish. You may entertain my idea. Prevx1 is an app that either you love dearly OR hate it vigorously.IMO, anyway.

5. stubbs100

stubbs100 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

We have had a long standing issue with preventing users from reinstalling if the trial had expired and you uninstalled. We would prevent you from reinstalling again for the use of detection only.

I'm pleased to say we have now fixed this issue and you should be able to reinstalled to obtain the use of free detection.

Prevx1 is free to use from first installation.

If you have need at some point to use the Cleanup/Protection (and it could be in 10 years) then a 32 day trial period becomes activated. You have free use of the Cleanup/Protection for a further 32 days. Thereafter you will need to purchase a license key for 12 months, 3 months or 1 month to continue to receive cleanup/protection.

We believe this is fair for the consumer user who could use the product free of charge. During this time all the latest updates and software protection will be free to install. You only pay when you need to use the product but have the assurance you will be protected when it is required.

You can continue to use Detection free if you choose not to purchase a license key and now im pleased to say you can uninstall/reinstall whenever you like to obtain free Detection.

I hope this help,

Prevx Support

6. PhoenixWeb

That is great! Thanks for fixing this issue. I have now reinstalled Prevx1 and it is working as you have said.

I do have one issue though - the green traffic light icon in the task bar now has a small yellow triangle and a constantly flashing email symbol flashing over it.

This is quite distracting, so is there a way to stop this? I have tried clicking on it, opening the console, and restarting my PC, but it is still there flashing away...

7. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

inconvenience doesnt negate the still valid offer
    its nice the issue was addressed but your statement was factually incorrect ;)
    ethically it comes under looking a gift horse in the mouth

8. PhoenixWeb

How was my statement incorrect?

Prevx Quote: We believe that if your PC is never infected then Prevx1 should not cost you a thing. It should be completely free. And so it is.

Fact: My PC was never infected, yet in my circumstance, Prevx1 was not free to use, as I couldn't use it without having to pay for a registration...

How was that factually incorrect?

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it also says "its free intill it detects something"
    it detected an fp i think you said which means it detected something.
    and alot of programs trials run out if you uninstall them like avg antispyware so its not just prevx.
    lodore

10. PhoenixWeb

It never detected anything. My PC was clean. I understand about free trials etc, but when the free trial of Prevx runs out, it is supposed to continue working in the FREE mode (which it does now after this issue was rectified).

I now have Prevx running on my PC in free mode, and should it find detect anything I will upgrade for malware removal, as is the process model, i.e. free until you need it!

11. Ice_Czar

1. if elves left you a computer in your sock drawer tonight, youd install Prevx and it would be free

2. if the fairy queen transformed your HDD into a brand spanking new SCSI RAID array, youd install Prevx and it would be free

3. if an ogre where to haXor your computer and wipe your HDD, youd reinstall Prevx and it would be free.

4. and finally if you found all the registry keys to fully wipe out its previous install, you could reinstall Prevx and it would be free.

your original statement is factually incorrect because its not qualified
    its a petulant rant about how you cant use a free product because its inconvenient to take the steps necessary to avail yourself of its generous offer yet again. Of course its all now academic.

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You can always write in to support by clicking the tray icon and then "Talk to Support". Upon verifying what happened, we can always reset the trial. If Prevx1 detects a false positive, you can report the false positive by double-clicking it in your Holding Cell to bring up the web info and copying and pasting the line at the top of the page that says "Description of the product known as xxxxxxxx" into your support message so that we can fix the false positive for everyone. Let us know if it set off the trial prematurely and we can fix that at the same time.

14. Ice_Czar

damn generous ;)

15. PhoenixWeb

Ice_Czar - thanks for taking the time to break it down for me. Patronising, creative, but totally missing the point. Bottom line: Prevx1 obviously saw it as a important issue, as they have since corrected it.

I don't know what your problem is. Prevx say that Prevx1 operates in a free reduced capacity similar to AVG antivirus, ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware, and Sunbelt Kerio Firewall for example...

In my case I couldn't take advantage of this feature, so I contacted the Prevx customer support, and posted on here.

Prevx then fixed the issue, I said thank you (nine posts back!), issue resolved.

I am not going to post again on this issue, as far as I am concerned it has be resolved, and I am a happy Prevx1 user once again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.