Prevx with SafeOnline seems to conflict with Online Armor Premium

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Saint Satin Stain, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    Prevx with SafeOnline seems to conflict with Online Armor Premium, especially with Internet Explorer.
    The milieu: Windows XP Professional SP3 [5.1 Build 2600] (x86) 2.20 gigahertz 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 5000 Dual-Core
    Security 128 bits, 40 bits
    Hardware DEP Available Yes
    DEP for 32 Bits Applications Yes
    DEP for Drivers Yes
    1024 MB Megabytes Installed Memory
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 26.86 GB 17.38 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 133.17 GB 90.12 GB free
    f: (NTFS on drive 2) 100.24 GB 48.85 GB free
    NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a
    Prevx 3.0 Version 3.0
    Virus Definitions Version Up To Date
    Realtime File Scanning On

Emsisoft Online Armor 4.5.0.234
    Prevx 3.0.5.209
    Sandboxie 3.48
    SpywareBlaster 4.4 with autoupdate
    Trojan Remover 6.8.2.2595
    Vidalia Bundle:
    Polipo
    Tor
    Vidalia

Browsers:
    SeaMonkey 2.0.8 (default)
    K-Meleon 1.5.4
    Mozilla Firefox 3.6.10
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

Prevx and Online Armor both filter the web, and I believe that SafeOnline and OA's Web Shield conflict. Sometimes pages would not load when both were operative; I don't have that problem when I turn off SafeOnline.

Has this problem been noticed by anyone else? My temporary solution was to turn off SafeOnline, but should I turn off OA's Web Shield instead. Which one should I leave on? Which one is more effective? Prevx is among the best antiviruses, light on resources, but is it the better web filter? I believe that web filtering is a firewall function, and the feature works in concert with Firewall, Program Guard, and Keylogger detection. I don't know how SafeOnline works, but I believe that it would work best with a firewall without web page filtering.

What say you? Which should I use to filter the web pages? Both are effective.

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I use OA, Prevx and SBIE. If you're running your browser under Sandboxie then OA webshield is completely unnecessary and I would recommend you disable it. I have always disabled webshield to avoid overlap such as this.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It may be helpful to take a look at a scan log if possible - could you send a scan log to report@prevxresearch.com to see if that will help?

Thank you! :)

4. Saint Satin Stain

I only run Firefox, K-Meleon, and Internet Explorer with Sandboxie. I do not run my defaut SeaMonkey with Sandboxie; it does not do well with it. I may not know how to configure Sandboxie and I will spend this weekend reading sbie instructions. I've been running SeaMonkey with restricted rights from Online Armor.

I turn off Web Guard in Online Armor; I turn on SafeOnline in Prevx; I run three browsers with Sandboxie. Okay so far. I run SeaMonkey not sandboxed, but with lower rights from OA?

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

That should be ok. The problem you have with Seamonkey is that so few people use it you're more likely to have compatibility problems than with other browsers. A few other comments:
    - Send in the scan log as requested
    - Webshield for Seamonkey is partly irrelevant because Seamonkey doesn't support ActiveX, which is a big part of what Webshield blocks
    - I would always recommend the approach of running a specific browser for your banking sessions outside of SBIE. SBIE will block Prevx SOL, so if you do your banking/secure sessions with a Sandboxed browser you get absolutely no Prevx SOL protection.

So - decide which is your "secure sessions" browser. Run that outside of SBIE. I suggest using IE for compatibility. For all other browsing run the browser under SBIE.

6. Saint Satin Stain

Scoobs72

Thanks Scoobs72. The problem with SeaMonkey and Sandboxie is the email, but un sandboxed no problem.

I do banking, pay bills, and order mostly with SeaMonkey.

SeaMonkey is fixed quicker than the other browsers and has fewer security issues.

I sandbox Firefox, K-Meleon, and IE. SafeOnline works with IE and Firefox. Only IE has the problem.

Your suggestions really helpful.

I keep the Web Shield off.
    I also have SpywareBlaster which protects all the browsers; it immunizes, not an active protection.

That glitch is mostly solved.

I sent the log.
    I'll wait for Prevx's response.

[MOVE]Thank you[/MOVE]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.