Prevx trial intentionally giving false positive?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by dennishal, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennishal

dennishal Registered Member

Using the trial version of Prevx 3.0. I noticed several days ago of a reported infection of file "testbundle23w_1254[1].exe" stored a folder where IE keeps its cached files. Of course the trial won't clean the file, so I just deleted the IE cache manually.

Now today I get a new warning about the same infected file "testbundle23w_1254[1].exe" in the same location as last time. So this time I went to the specified location "c:\users\xxxxx\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\5dsvuv73\" so I could manually delete it.

Problem is, the "\content.ie5" directory doesn't exist. The supposed parent folder contains only a few files and no sub-folders. It's not a hidden directory either.

I assume Prevx gives this occasional false positive in order to induce people to upgrade to the full version that will clean an infection that they don't really have. I have experience with windows going back to 1994, and though it's possible that I missed something, this is really what it looks like to me. If so, that's some pretty shady work.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    No, that is not the case. Please send a scan log by clicking Tools - Save Scan Results and send it to report@prevxresearch.com for us to fix.

I'll close this thread as-per policy for now but please let me know if you have any questions via email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.