Prevx SOL and KeySrambler versus Commercial Keyloggers

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried three commercial keylogegrs.

- Elite Keylogger
    - All in one Keylogger
    - Advanced Keylogger

http://www.keylogger.org/

On XP SP2 with IE6, I first installed the keylogger and the PrevxSOL free edition or KeyScrambler and then tested the keylogging.

KS successfully scrambled the keys against all three of them.

Prevx SOL successfully stopped elite keylogger from snapshots and keylogging during https session. However All in one Keylogger bypassed Prevx SOL and took snapshots of https session on paypal.com login. Also Advanced Keylogger bypassed Prevx SOL and keylogged the user name and password from paypal.com login page. :mad:

I did not save any snapshots or i would have posted them too.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Did you increase the http setting to max or high? Go to configuration of HTTP. Set it to either high or max. THat should take care of the screen grabbing attacks.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Used all defaults.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Aigle mentioned https, PrevX Safe Online by default sets everything to max when browsing https. So a bit disappointing

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

can both prevx sol and keyscrambler be used at once?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why both? One must be enough IMO.

7. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Keyscrambler good to hear this indeed.:thumb:

8. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

Like to see these tested against Zemana Antilogger :)

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just download the 15 days trial of Zemana and give it a try.

10. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This is the key point here - SafeOnline and KeyScrambler can't be used at the same time. You'll need to uninstall KeyScrambler to get proper results for SafeOnline's protection :)

11. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

That's new information. I don't recall this ever being mentioned before. Is it a newly introduced compatibility problem?

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i remember way back wen i used prevx (im sure u remember my unsolvable internet connection issue lol) u said prevx was compatible with keyscrambler, at first it wasnt but u kept releasing new versions that improved its compatibility, or is there a new issue betweent the 2 that cant be resolved?

13. PrevxHelp

No, this has existed since the beginning of SafeOnline. KeyScrambler has similar protection to SafeOnline (although SafeOnline hides keystrokes while KeyScrambler "encrypts" them) but using both on full protection at the same time results in not being able to use your keyboard :) SafeOnline steps out of the way when it detects KeyScrambler as KeyScrambler will be installed and protecting the keystrokes.

I've tested each of the keyloggers in this post now on 32bit Windows 7 and SafeOnline blocks them on https://www.paypal.com - Elite Keylogger is the more interesting of the three in that it uses a different approach to keylogging than other keyloggers, but the rest are run-of-the-mill.

14. Scoobs72

Hmmm...really? You suggest otherwise in this post:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=258095

I'm not trying to catch anyone out here, just trying to understand. Was the previous belief that it was fully compatible but it's since been discovered that there had been issues all along?

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yes, i remember that as well

16. PrevxHelp

SafeOnline and KeyScrambler are fully compatible in that you can use them alongside each other without problems. SafeOnline does a lot more than just antikeylogging (frankly, antikeylogging is probably one of the smallest features in SafeOnline) and you still receive all of the other protection of SafeOnline when using KeyScrambler as well.

17. moontan

PrevxHelp:
    i'm getting confused here...

18. PrevxHelp

When SafeOnline and KeyScrambler are installed, KeyScrambler will be the only antikeylogger. If you are trying to test the keylogging protection of just SafeOnline, you can't have KeyScrambler installed as well as SafeOnline will be stepping out of the way for KeyScrambler to protect keystrokes.

In operation, KeyScrambler would be protecting keystrokes and SafeOnline protects everything else when they're both installed so outside of explicitly testing keylogging, SafeOnline would be fully operational.

19. Scoobs72

Ok, I think I understand. So assuming Aigle disabled Keyscrambler to test SafeOnline, he didn't know that SafeOnline had 'switched off' its keylogging protections because it had detected Keyscrambler installed...and hence the keylogger was able to capture the keyed input?

20. PrevxHelp

Yes, exactly - unfortunately we can't risk trying to determine the state of KeyScrambler's internal configuration because the keylogger protection has to load immediately on bootup and the two drivers will fight each other even if the user-level configuration says it is turned off.

21. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Even I understand that now. THANK YOU...:thumb:

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

WOW, it almost looked like a personal attack :D

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@PrevxHelp
    May be my results are different as i used windows xp. I wish you could have tested on XP. Other issue can be the presence of CIS although it was disabled.

By the way, let me make it clear that i never tested SOL and KS together. It would be unwise to install them together and then test them.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, I have re-tested SOL on fresh snapshot of CTM. No security software installed, just a fresh XP SP2 with IE6, not fully patched though.

I just tested Advanced Keylogger and it was able to grab my login credentials on paypal login page( https). Prevx SOL did stop the screenshots though.

I will assume that Al in One Keylogger will be able to take screenshots too but I did not re-test it.

Attached Files:

• sol.jpg
      sol.jpg
      File size:
      219.4 KB
      Views:
  25. moontan

i like the concept of KeyScrambler more than anti-loggers solutions (prevx, spyshelter, zemana etc) per se.

i'm not concerned much with screen capture because the most important part, the password, is always hidden with *****

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.