PrevX SafeOnlne Keeps Crashing my Brower

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by calix, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calix

calix Registered Member

Hi,

Recently, i started experiencing hanging and crashing of my Web browser for both Mozilla FF 3.6.16 and SRWare Iron 9.0.600.2 (74100) with PrevX SOL free enabled. There's no special in my SOL since I'm using the free version, the default values and pre-configured setting is all there is.

I captured screenshot on my SRWare browser and it says "extension crashed" (see attached file: screenshot).

Hope someone can help since Prevx is great help for me when i'm into e-banking.

TIA,
    Calix

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. calix

calix Registered Member

BTW, no problem when using incognito mode or private browsing. Is there incompatibilty/conflict problem in any of my add-ons as shown in my screenshot?
    but why only now, i'm using SOL for a while with no problems except just recently. :(

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, sorry i can't help with your problem, but someone will :)

Just wondered why NoScript is spelt incorrectly ?

n.gif

4. calix

calix Registered Member

Thanks! NotScript is for Chrome based browsers extension while noscript is for Mozilla FF addon.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ calix

I didn't know that, but i do now ;)

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    I saw a scan log uploaded earlier but it appears to have vanished. Could you please email your scan log to report@prevxresearch.com so that I can take a look if the components need to be whitelisted?

Thank you! :)

7. calix

calix Registered Member

yeah deleted it, sorry. i'll email it instead.

The crashing/hanging happens when i visit a site in the default domain/pre-configured or the 1 domain i added the in the SOL.

8. calix

calix Registered Member

mail sent. :)

9. calix

calix Registered Member

i dunno if this will help but I found a warning message in my event viewer with prevx name on it...

10. calix

calix Registered Member

I think i have found what's causing my browser to hang and crash.
    I tried some testing and able to access my protected sites entry in SOL.
    I reduced the setting from max to medium and viola it works!
    I think, the issue is with the SOL features ""Isolate untrusted browser addons from data""

Attached Files:

11. calix

calix Registered Member

If that's the case Prevx should provide users with the list of all "untrusted browser addons" so as to avoid this issue or user have the chance to what addons need to be disabled.

I will post here my Mozilla addons and SRWare (Chromium) extension for Prevx to determine the exact addons and extension that have issue with SOL and for them to make updates or advisory in the future and also in the same manner inform the author of the addons/extension about Prevx SOL behavior.

Attached Files:

12. calix

calix Registered Member

Another suggestion I would like to say to Prevx team is to provide user flexibility to disabled or enabled SOL "security configuration" not just the slider setting from OFF, Detection Only, Medium, High Or Max. The reason is that, one way or another the user just like to disabled or enabled a certain security config without affecting the other configurations.

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Indeed! It is music to the ears....voilà :D

P.S. Presently, not using Prevx3...waiting for Prevx 4.0 beta

14. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I don't feel it's necessary, or applicable, for Prevx to issue a list of e.g. "untrusted browser add-ons" or suchlike, since previously, and hopefully in the future, they can make sensitive adjustments to the database which, in effect,
    provides a bespoke-like solution to suit each individual...that is one of the beauties of Prevx imo.

15. PrevxHelp

Yes, this is what we've done now as well - calix, I responded to your email yesterday - are you still experiencing problems on full protection?

16. calix

calix Registered Member

Thank you! but unfortunately the problem still persist after following your advice. I also tried the latest version of Prevx (RC 3.0.5.230) but same results when SOL is in maximum setting.

BTW, I emailed the the latest scan log.

17. PrevxHelp

It looks like the best approach for you will be to just leave your settings on Medium. I haven't seen any other user with a similar problem as your scan log is showing whitelisted. In the meantime, lowering your configuration will not cause any problems as your system does not have any threats on it.

18. calix

calix Registered Member

yeah i think i will leave it that way for a moment but what fascinate me is that I have no problem before using SOL and I know for the fact that my system is clean and well protected coz I practice safe browsing and have layers of protection to hardened my premise.

I don't know if it has connection but the last thing I can remember that I've done was install BufferZone Pro (free) but immediately uninstalled it, run CCleaner to clean its leftover and then settle to Sandboxie. After that I experiencing hanging on my Firefox and crashing on my SRWare Iron browser.

Also, I have a desktop with almost the same settings with my laptop that has problem shows no such thing as hanging and crashing of browser. Same thing with my Office test PC, no problem with PrevX SOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.