Prevx SafeOnline plus Chromium

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by m00nbl00d, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I couldn't find any information saying whether or not it protects the hourly builds of Chromium browser.

So, the question is: Does it work with it? Or, not at all?

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

SafeOnline currently only supports the primary Google Chrome browser, not the Chromium builds or extensions. We add support for browsers as they gain popularity but at the moment we are prioritizing other changes above adding support for Chromium builds.

3. m00nbl00d

I sort of understand your view, but isn't it a bit contradictory from a security point of view? And, also from a business model view?

I mean, either people make use of the browsers you support, and ditch the ones they make use of, or they stick with them, and they won't be protected, and you (Prevx) won't make more costumers.

Part of me understands it. But, the other part doesn't, from a business point of view.

And, now I'm not strictly talking about Chromium. There's Kmeleon, and other browsers based on Firefox, IE and also on Chromium. I also deduct SafeOnline won't work with these. So, from a business model view aren't you doing it the wrong way?

Anyway, thank you from shedding some lights about Chromium.

Regards

4. PrevxHelp

Unfortunately because each of the browsers require time to support, the return on investment for actually implementing the code required to interface within the browser is not sufficient because of each browser's relative user base. Prevx 4 will make it easier to support new browsers/other applications but at the moment we won't receive the value for the time we have to put in.

5. m00nbl00d

I've having issues with Chromium.

I installed SafeOnline and I can't open sites like www.softpedia.com, and a lot more.

I shutdown SafeOnline, and I can open them.

What's up?

Edit: I know that SafeOnline doesn't work it. But, installing SafeOnline shouldn't cripple my browsing with Chromium.

6. PrevxHelp

It's possible that Prevx is still trying to scan files as they load - could you please send a scan log to report@prevxresearch.com so that we can take a closer look?

Thanks!

7. m00nbl00d

Never mind... It is OK now. I only got chance to reply now. But, if for some reason it happens again, I'll let you guys know.

Thank you

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

On XP SP2 I can see SafeOnline tab on both chromium and SRware iron.

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      13.2 KB
      Views:
  9. m00nbl00d

Hello aigle,

Can you tell me if you have Chromium's default user data dir? I have changed data dir. Maybe that's why I can't see it with Chromium?

10. m00nbl00d

After all, it seems that Safe Online works with Chromium as well, in here. I just couldn't see it, because of Sandboxi being set not to allow anything but chrome.exe to run.

What gives? I thought it wasn't a supported browser? And, aigle also mentioned it.

11. PrevxHelp

SafeOnline doesn't explicitly try to support it but it would seem that it does because of similarities within the application :)

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s default I think but I am not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.