Prevx SafeOnline blocks Online Armor RunSafer?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by bellgamin, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have Chrome browser set always to RunSafer (LUA) via Online Armor (OA). OA is set up such that any app in RunSafer mode has a green border around it.

When Prevx SafeOnline (SOL) is active at max settings, the green border of Chrome is not present. When I deactivate SOL & restart Chrome, the green border IS present.

WHO should fix this issue -- Prevx or OnlineArmor folks?

(I have posted identical comment on OA forum)

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

As i have seen posted here before, try lowering the settings from max to "high".

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I tried lowering SOL, 1 step at a time. The green border only appears with SOL totally off. However, despite the absence of the green border, Process Explorer shows that (even when SOL is at its highest setting) Chrome is, in fact, in Run Safer (LUA) mode.

(Also tested for Firefox & Safari. Same results)

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

In this case, I suspect it is just Prevx blocking access to the browser process for graphically drawing the border around the browser. As long as Process Explorer correctly states that it is in LUA mode, the protection should be fully applied. Prevx blocks external processes from modifying the browser's memory which is likely the cause for the "issue" here, although it appears to just be a surface level incompatibility.

Let me know if you see anything different!

5. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

@ bellgamin,
    See my post #11 here at the OA forum:

http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=12679&highlight=prevx

One point that may or may not be relevant here is that if you use Sandboxie with OA you loose the green 'Run Safer' border and by checking in Process Explorer you can see that the browsers are running as Administrator. I understand from OA that this is because OA cannot 'see' into the Sandbox and the 'Web Sites' shield becomes inactive; you will notice that the Web Sites does not get populated with the unknown sites that you visit.
    Now, if you use Prevx SafeOnline with OA you also loose the green border and as with Sandboxie the OA 'Web Sites' does not get populated which suggests that SafeOnline also somehow inactivates OA Web Shield. A reverse/revert sandbox of some sort that isolates the Browser from the operating system?
    Now, bearing in mind the inconsistent 'Administrator' - 'Deny, Owner' behaviour I observed I am not sure if there is a conflict of some sort between Prevx and OA or not, but due to the uncertainty I have reluctantly refrained from using the two together.
    These are of course just my observations on my machine and may not apply to others. I am running an XP Home SP3 operating system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.