Prevx Pro v1.0.0.1 and Prevx Home v2.1 releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Eng, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eng

Eng Guest

Hi folks,

the below sounds really greatly and I am eager to have honed my current release of PrevX Home 2.0 which I rate as one of the best protection ever came into the world.

PrevXs' Official note:
    The latest versions of Prevx Pro 2005 and Prevx Home will start shipping this week. The new Prevx Pro installer is available now from the download area of the Prevx website http://www.prevx.com/prevxprolanding.asp and will be available from download.com later in the week.

The upgrade kit to enable existing customers to upgrade will be available very shortly.

The improvements in this release include the following:

Prevx Pro 2005 only
    1.1 Event Management - Single events can be deleted from the History View
    1.2 Rules Editor - Rules can be added offline via the View History screen
    1.3 Report Mode - An option to view Report Mode Events can be enabled via the Event message screen
    Prevx Home and Prevx Pro 2005
    1.4 Install changes - Installers have been unified
    1.5 Help Contents - Help contents available from the Start menu
    1.6 New Driver - The Prevx Driver optimized to reduce alerts
    1.7 MD5 Checksum - Increased MD5 checksum routines implemented to improve malware detection
    1.8 New Policies - Additional policies deployed to increase security
    1.9 Agent Optimization - Improved handling of Event information
    1.10 Proxy Server - Support for Proxy servers
    1.11 Knowledgebase - Prevx now detects malware and warns users
    1.12 Security Settings Grouping - Security Settings are now grouped into a two-tier display
    1.13 Get Advice - Issue relating to Get Advice now resolved
    1.14 Report Mode Silent - Report Mode Events no longer displayed as pop-ups. Events can be seen through View History
    1.15 Icon Animation - System tray icon animated to show when Events are written
    1.16 Suspend/Resume - Now available directly from the Management Console
    1.17 Trusted install - Now available directly from the Management Console. This feature is now password protected and the last used directory is remembered
    1.18 Copy About screen - The 'About' information can now be directly copied to the Windows clipboard

So, guys, what do you think?

Regards,
    Eng

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Looks really good. Having the UI more organized and accessible makes a big difference, the animated icon is handy, slightly better performance, and it's very cool that it will now tell you if it detects known malware!

3. Eng

Eng Guest

Hi Notok,

do you incidentally know how to upgrade? I have Prevx Home 2.0 and an in-built updater says no updates available ... your Prevx Home is tuned to the highest available protection ...?!?

I re-downloaded installer from their web but no avail too. Its attributes are the same as for 2.0 release (same version No. and file size as well).

So I wonder how to get upgraded. Does anyone have a clue?
    Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Eng

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Looks like Prevx Home users will have to wait until later this week.. it only indicates that the Pro version is available now, I imagine the update package will be available at the same time.. so just keep checking the updater.

5. Eng

Eng Guest

Notok,

thanks for your quick reply whereof I understood that the update will be likely done through the updater and not with new installer of 2.1. Am I right?

Had I misread your post and the upgrade will have to be made by means of new installation file, do you know whether 2.0 have to be uninstalled before 2.1 is loaded or it can be installed over 2.0?

Sorry for my fiddly queries but FAQ on Prevx web says nothing about.

Thanks,
    Eng

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It is a little ambiguous, but I reckon that they will have the new version available both on the website and via the updater. Basically I think you will have the full install available on the website and an update installer available via the updater. In the past the updater downloads the update and starts it, the first screen prompts you to shutdown Prevx, then you hit 'next' and proceed with the rest of the installation.

I'm using the Pro version, and I was able to just install it over the top of the old one. It is, however, a good practice to uninstall first.. this makes the chances of problems or file corruption less likely.

7. Eng

Eng Guest

Thanks for your comments and let's see how it develops.

Regards,
    Eng

8. Eng

Eng Guest

Hi folks,

is somebody out there who knows when the upgrade kit to enable existing customers to upgrade will be available? I just mean Prevx Home.

I have gone through the in-built updater but no joy => still 2.0 ?!?

Thanks and regards,
    Eng

9. iwod

iwod Registered Member

New UI?? Where can i find a screenshot on it? Honestly the only thing stopping me from using this is resources and UI.

10. Eng

Eng Guest

Bang!

Now I am totally confused ... Prevx and download.com offer 2.1 release but checking through the updater still no updates available ?!? So can any1 advice what to do ... download the new installation file and install over old version or ...

You're welcome with any hints.
    Thanks and regards,
    Eng

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Perhaps the updater got a little delayed. You could download the installer from the site. If you decide to install over the top of the previous version just make sure to shut Prevx down properly before running the install (right click on the tray icon and select "shutdown prevx"), things won't work right if you just 'end task' on it (protection will still be enabled but you won't get any alerts)

12. Eng

Eng Guest

Thanks Notok for your useful hints, you are my guru of this thread. I decided to give the updater chance until tomorrow then I will have a fresh download of 2.1 and will proceed as you enlightened me.

Thanks for your patience and regards,
    Eng

13. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Downloaded the trial of Prevx Pro yesterday. From what I read it seems like a good program.
    Do any current users have any opinions or advice on this program?
    Thanks! :cool:

14. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Danny .

I can assure you that Prevx Pro is a GREAT program . And , after talking to them , at length , they have finally sped up the boot process for this app . It was refined yesterday in a new update . It uses little , if any resources and , does all it is supposed to . Anti keylogging , zero day attacks , buffer overflow protection , and so on . The question is , Is the Pro worth the money over the free home version . To me , No . But , I received a Pro lisence due to my help in refinig the program . I LOVE the Pro version . But , I felt that the home version is just as good . A little more control with the Pro but , protection wise , close to the same . Hope that helps . Good luck and let me know if I can help

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks for your reply. So far it's working very well. It's a keeper. Now I just have to decide on free or pro. Thanks again.

16. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Danny .

May I suggest using the home for a week or so , then maybe , try the Pro version and see what you think . It is a hard decision , I know . But , again , the home version is very good .

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks again hollywoodpc. I'll do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.