PREVX PRO 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Infinity, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

installed prevx, disabled processguard and rebooted.

my pc shuts down and starts up automatically, 10 times...no mather what I try, doesn't work.

I had to boot up in safe mode, restore to yesterday (just after a format so I had to install my whole setup again :D )

should I try it one more timeo_O :D

Inf.

2. Jeremy2

Jeremy2 Registered Member

In one of the post, it has been mentionned that home version user, are eligible to a free upgrade to prevx pro? Can anyone confirm?

3. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

I don't know whether you should try again but I do know there are more conflicts between PREVX Pro and PG in the Prevx Pro version. PREVX Pro makes a lot more serious attempts to protect itself.

Prevx Pro will now pass most of the methods used by APT to shutdown a program.

I found it very, very interesting that PREVX Pro would keep alerting that PG was trying to access sagui.exe and PX.exe. Here is how the alerts look:

These alerts happen because Prevx defenses such as "Prevx misuse-Hijack" are set in "Prevent Mode" by PREVX on initial install. In order to stop getting hundreds of alerts one must switch all of the PREVX settings to "Query Mode" and giving all of the alerts a allow flag.

I don't know for sure about what is happening on your computer because you had shut PG off but I do know my computer does not boot as cleanly with both programs on my system. On some boots the Prevx service won't initialize.

I hope you can solve your problem. Right now, I am not sure whether Prevx or Regrun Gold is a better solution....I think it might depend on the computer and the other software installed on the computer. Maybe Prevx Pro's new settings are conflicting with another program other than PG on your computer too.

Starrob

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I would be keen to know if you do sort this out as I had issues with prevx and PG . My pc would shut down with a blue screen too lol. I took prevx off .

this thread has inspired me to contact prevx and ask them if they may have a solution . They may or may not know of Process Guard . Maybe if a few of us contact them over this issue they might look into this issue.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Count me in, I will do it after I get home.

good idea Solar.

Inf.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im not sure about wuts causing ur problems, but i have pg and prevx pro running smoothly.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I use Prevx Home and PG without problems.

Cheers :D

8. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I just installed PREVX PRO 2005 thinking i'm going to try the 15 day trial - it's asking for serial right away - no trial? Process guard full is good enough isn't it?

9. solarpowered candle

underneath where it asks for the serial number there is a "trial" tab .... if I remember rightly .
    I think that if you are a clean surfing seaweed you proberbly dont need it at all. but you know ....boys and there toys lol.

10. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I tried it yesterday on my machine, seemed to work ok for a while, until the computer needed rebooting that was, it came up with some sort of warning, nothing worked after that, couldn't connect to the internet, then after another reboot it wouldn't initialise so I ended up taking it off. I think it was the straw that broke the camels back as far as security apps go, as now it is gone my computer is back to efficient workings. Perhaps sometimes we go a little overboard in our strivings to become secure.

11. rollers

Ok, not to be defeated, reinstalled prevx pro 2005 and found there was a problem if I had TDS 3 running in the background at the same time. I am now using TDS as an on demand and all is well. I like the prevx pro as it gives good peace of mind, even for things that there are no updates for (Just as well with TDS over the Christmas period)
    The moral of the story...............If at first you don't succeed, find out why.

Nod32,Zonealarm pro, prevx pro, adaware se and firetrust benign for email

12. solarpowered candle

I had been unable to load up prevx Pro and had wondered if there was an issue with process guard . however I now think that the issue may have been my extendia real time monitor. I took off my anti virus in real time and now its working fine. Although I am running on faith here in that I trust prevx does all that it says it does . Currently I am running with only look n stop firewall ... Prevx pro...process guard ... in real time. on demand I have TDS3 ... Extendia Kav .. ad-aware ...spyware blaster ..firefox I also use benign for email .. working well for me.

13. rollers

I am glad that you got it running. I have been studying exactly what it does protect and I must say that so far it does seem to be doing so. I have used a couple of programs that want to read and write to the protected areas, and hey presto up pops the alerts. Just trying to change the homepage on explorer sets it off. I don't notice any change in computer running and have no resource issues with it either. I have the full paid for version now, which is very good value at $19.99 given the current pound/dollar exchange rate, just over a tenner for peace of mind.

14. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

I have been using Prevx Home and now the Pro 2005. No problems at all. Then again I don't have PG or TDS-3 in my computer.

However I have all the others like Antivir, Ad-aware SE 1.05, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Spybot 1.3, TrojanHunter 4.0, McAfee Firewall 6 Plus.

Prevx Pro even detects rootkits. Here is what the Prevx Pro support has to say after I ask about rootkits and e-mail zero-day virus ;

The Prevx Pro software will prevent or alert any attempts of rootkit
    software from copying itself into vital system areas and execution from
    those areas too (prevents the software from been installed/saved on the
    machine).

However, if the roolkit has been installed before Prevx, then Prevx will
    only protect the machine from attempts by the software from writing to
    vital registries, copying files to system areas etc etc. You can use the
    Get Advice button to see a detailed description of the alert.

Prevx Pro 2005 provides Prevx Home functionality PLUS:-

Protection from email-borne viruses
    Prevx Pro 2005 traps attempts to execute by e-mail attachments; offering
    comprehensive protection against new ?zero-day? viruses.

Increased control over security settings
    Prevx Pro 2005 allows editing of security settings, increasing your
    control
    and minimizing the incidence of alerts for events you wish to allow.

14 additional security settings
    While some of the settings in Prevx Home are in ?report? mode only, in
    Prevx Pro 2005 these settings have been enabled to prevent attacks, as
    follows:

SCR Files in Download Areas
    PIF Files in Download Areas
    SCF Files in Download Areas
    DRV Files in Download Areas
    VXD Files in Download Areas
    CMD Files in Program Areas
    COM Files in Program Areas
    PIF Files in Program Areas
    SCF Files in Program Areas
    VBS Files in Program Areas
    DRV Files in Program Areas
    INF Files in Program Areas
    VXD Files in Program Areas
    Programs Running from Temp Areas

15. solarpowered candle

16. rollers

Yes, Solar, interesting read. I am hoping to be nice and safe during the next zero day outbreak. I have been running the Pro version now for several days and have had no probems. The alerts are not too often, I changed my homepage today and it threw up a warning for me to check that I was the one making the changes. There are no resource issues with this either, I forget it is running. I did have PG3 on before, but the computer was incredibly slow during everything with it running, so by process of elimination I discovered what was slowing things down and unfortunately had to remove it. But so far very impressed with Prevx Pro 2005

17. newbornii

newbornii Guest

absolutely it is dragging down your box drammatically when it is in action either logging turned off.

18. Jeremy2

Jeremy2 Registered Member

I think people are over-estimating Prevx. As far as I'm concerned, the only time prevx pop-ups a warning message is when I make a new software installation. All the trojan, I was about to get on my PC, when surfing, have been caught by my anti-virus(KAV), and the Spyware, by spybot.

As for the registery monitoring, I added MJRW, as prevx don't protect them all.

19. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

His alerts are very precise and it could increase the level defense.

But i don't need it.I've found the just milieu between high level defense and paranoiac overprotection.

And i really like the approach of intrusion system prevention as Prevx.
    Even when the marketing of this product is sometimes a little bit pretentious.

Regards

20. solarpowered candle

I see today that the PAWS link is now working .

21. Turpster

Turpster Registered Member

I just tried Prevx Pro and was not very impressed. I liked the home version, it seemed to work just fine. The Pro version however, slowed my system down to much. I thought maybe it was a conflict with TDS-3, but even with TDS-3 turned off it was to slow. But here is the rub, that I am hoping someone can help me with:

Prevx Pro 2005, once installed leaves a huge blank in the add/remove programs menu from P to Q and it does not list itself there. Security feature?

I was able to uninstall it from the uninstaller listed under the "All Programs/Prevx Pro" menu. But the huge blank remains in the control panels add/remove programs...... The good news is that my system is running fine again (so, far anyway). Any thoughts on how to fix this? o_O

I am running Windows XP SP2, P4 3.2G, 2048RAM with Nod32, Outpost Firewall Pro, Tauscan, TDS-3, Wormguard, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE Pro, Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster (all behind a hardware firewall router) Any number of which could be the performance conflict with Prevx Pro ;)

I figure I am probably safe enough already if I can just undo the damage PREVX Pro caused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

22. solarpowered candle

if you cant fathom any way out .... you could always try a system restore to the point before installing prevx ...

23. Turpster

Thanks, but system restore did not fix the problem. However, I did find the problem and I guess it was not Prevx Pro after all. :oops: I started checking the regsitry between P and Q and found my problem. Under the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PC Flank WhoEasy Plug-In there is a "-1" at the end of display icon. I changed this to "1" and all is well again. I found others on the web with the same problem, but with other programs, and it seems that negative numbers under display icon can cause these problems. I know that I have a few other programs with negative numbers in the uninstall key but they seem to be working fine. Go figure.

So, my apologies for blaming Prevx Pro 2005 for this issue as it appears the credit belongs to PC Flank's Who Easy.

I still think Prevx Pro 2005 has performance / conflict issues. Not sure I am ready to let go of my other protection which has served me so well just to run the latest thing. Have there been any real independent tests done that show how it performs, security wise?

24. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

If you have a conflict you think might be down to Prevx Pro, it might be worth contacting Prevx support or posting on the (recently launched) official Prevx forums over on Castlecops.

See http://castlecops.com/forum-cat37.html

25. Turpster

Thanks! I will check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.