PREVX Online Support/Messages Hours

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by akemon64, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akemon64

akemon64 Registered Member

Hi, I've been using PREVX for a few years now and just ran across another great benefit of this software. I have 4-system license and a friend of mine used one. Recently her computer was stolen and Since I'm the owner of the license, I still get emails whenever an infection occurs. Well the thief must not know that and apparently is using the PC as is with all software still loaded and yesterday I received 4 separate emails saying that machine is infected.

So I sent a notice to PREVX online support today and was wondering if they work requests on Sundays. We'd like to get IP info back ASAP as to try and get investigators the info. I'm hoping PREVX will be able to assist in tracking down exactly where this computer is connecting to the internet.

If anyone knows please post a reply. Thanks.

2. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

maybe,

but they certainly wouldn't tell 'You' that information. (if thats what your expecting)

3. akemon64

Well you might be right, but I do own the license. I'd suspect they would have to give the info if court ordered by investigators.

4. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

You have a long road ahead of you there!
    What country are you in?
    The law/application of, will differ.

5. akemon64

In the USA. I'd hope the authorities could make it happen.

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We definitely do work on weekends :) I found your message in our inbox, but I'll leave the message there as well to get a response from the web team by tomorrow morning UK time - I don't believe we have the IP address at that level, but our web team would know better.

However, to release this information, I believe that we would indeed need a court subpoena.

I wish your friend good luck getting their PC back - that is really not a pleasant situation to be in and if we legally can help you, I'm sure our support team will do as much as possible :)

7. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Was the theft reported
    Proof of ownership
    Has the item crossed a border

PrevX can cancel that license

8. akemon64

Thanks PREVX help. I'll await a response and will work with my friend and authorities to see about a subpena.

DavidCo, theft was reported and I doubt the PC has crossed any borders. We have proof of ownership as well.

Edit to add:
    Don't want to cancel the license since I can disable that PC myself but want to keep it active to hopefully keep monitoring.

9. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

I always thought that prevx was registered as a British company, and thought it was British law that would need to be considered.

If so, I think that sort of personal data would be protected by the data protection act,

Again, if so, a written request would be needed I think, but again, am not fully sure about this situation with you personally or with prevx, or infact the law itself with the governments involvment.

Strange, as I've only recently completed my own data protection yearly exam, so should know my stuff, but basically I don't, lmao :)

I work in a place of great impotence for public information, and we have strict guidelines here for personal information, ie. Failure to pass these would lead to the loss of my job, harsh I know but that's what they tell us every year.

hope it all works out for you, would love to hear the outcome of this matter for sure,

10. akemon64

Thanks. I'll definitely try to remember to post the outcome here.

Could I not also claim that the thief is illegally using my licensed copy? Wonder how that could pan out?

Based on my PREVX console, the thief has used the machine and console reported last seen about 26 minutes ago. This could turn out interesting. I would also think some privacy protection is "void" when it involves theft of someone's property. Lo-Jack works to pinpoint locations and I'm not sure that's a violation of privacy information since you are only tracking the location of stolen property. http://www.absolute.com/products/lojackforlaptops/technology

Thanks to all of your posts here. I'm a big fan of PREVX and am hoping that catching this "dumb" thief will garner just one more benefit. You would think any smart crook would have wiped the hard drive clean before connecting to the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.