Prevx memory usage

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Drew99GT, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

This thing is eating up memory about like Spysweeper does (ditched spysweeper for that reason). Here is what I have:

PXconsole - 3,792k
    PXagent - 45,496k

Is that about what you guys are getting? I can't remember what Spysweeper used to use, I think it was over 60 megs!

2. guest

guest Guest

Prevx is not a good software in my opinion because with this memory requirements or less are another good applications that add more protection

For my Prevx requires arround 30 Mb -> I uninstall it
    Any aplication of This list need less memory for run well and offers better protection

gdata (KAV an bit defender engines)
    Panda (TruPrevent) http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/truprevent_tec.htm
    Or aplication like ssm or ps offers better protection with less than 10 MB
    "AVG Anti-Spyware (Ewido)" (600.000 DATABASE) good heuristic
    NOD32
    Cyberhwak is better in the test and only requires 8mb (http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/HIPS-BB-SB.pdf) In this test prevx was the worst

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

SSM and Ps are different concepts.

Prevx1 has a bit of a heavy foot, but you should notice what it does: it's analyzing every program you run, check with the database, use heuristics, and it can clean if malware is found (or block it when first found). It's the most comprehensive security program i've seen (i could be wrong, but i can't see another).

4. guest

guest Guest

Prevx depends of its database and (see the test: bad heuristic or bad database or both)... ssm and ps simply block the malware (any malware), this is most efective than prevx.

Example: You have a database with 9000000000000 virus xDD
    You open all, with ssm or ps in the computer: The software ask you -> press dont execute -> you ar free of virus
    You open all, with prevx in the computer: is extremly easy that some virus are not recognized by prevx ->you are infected

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

heres my values for Prevx1:

PXconsole - 16,496k
    PXagent - 30,296k

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You're missing the point. SSM doesn't prevent, it allows you to prevent. You're the one who blocks it or not. You have to understand what the message implies. Prevx1, even if you allow it, upon review, can clean your computer if it's malware. Quite different approaches.

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

But what was the mem usage of Prevx1 when you tried it?

Gerard

8. guest

guest Guest

For my Prevx requires arround 35 Mb -> I uninstall it
    In my opinion Prevx promises a lot of things in the web... seem very good but it is not the best....

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

console: 5.412k, agent 37.884k. About the same WSFuser.

10. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

What about the various tests that have been done on Prevx, especially the AV-Comparatives one. I understand why Prevx failed the AV-Comparatives, but other people are saying it sucks in some other testing. Is it really that bad?

11. guest

guest Guest

Yes but if you know a bit about "computers" is very easy to know what application is good and what application is bad.
    I am 3 or 4 years with windowsXP and outpost only, and i never had any virus trojan or spyware beacuse is easy know that I must open and that not.

In my opinion ssm or ps need "any" antivirus, truprevent or cyberhawk or similar, and a firewall, for "complete security"

Sorry for my english

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Prevx1 is a kind of security app that I would aquire at all costs. It is a very comprehensive software covering wider spectra of online security issues. Memory usage is never an issue for this pc. Currently it runs at13,968/14,604. I use O&O clever cache professional, it works fabulously to optimize memory usage to a reasonble level all the time. Try it out, you may never have to ditch your favorite app just simply because of higher mem usage. :)

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

another thing u miss is that Prevx1's ABC mode is "Set it and Forget It". It has almost no prompts.

Some people may find this appealing.

14. guest

guest Guest

Prevx is not my favorite, but now i need:

O&O CleverCache USD 29.95 and
    Prevx €19.50 only 12 moths

TOtal=50€ ->> a lot of alternatives

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I concur WSFuser's assessment. W/ its ABC mode on, I often dub it as a ideal online watchdog for a cyber idiot like me. :D

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: your calculations appears to be correct, but think about this way, once you fork out hardearned money to aquire these two(for exemples) apps, you may not need any other AS paywares, perhaps just adding free on demand AS. The investment you make here will benefit you for a long way. Believe me, I used to spend $$$ to have a fleet of protection gears, at end , I just ditched them. The reason is very simple, I just need one which can do the whole spectrum of jobs, that is Prevx1. As I have said many times, you either love it or hate it. :)

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Your english is ok, i understand you;)

If you know about computers very well, it's probably easy, and maybe you don't need anything. If only a bit, it's not that easy.

WSFuser and Perman pretty much summed it up.

18. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

I note this thread repeats many others, all of which fall under the general heading of "this [insert application name] uses too much memory".

I again ask myself the inevitable question such a statement raises of "by reference to what?"

Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 for example uses around 12mb at rest whilst TrendMicro 2007 uses over 100mb. If each were as effective as the other then KIS may be viewed as doing it better as it uses less system resources (absent CPU usage). There are other examples that everyone reading can think of when comparing similar apps.

To what other program are you comparing Prevx1, Someone or does it just seem "too much?"

I run a lean machine but the memory usage you quote is not an issue for me.

With respect the far more pressing issue is to find security apps that will happily co-exist with each other without driver conflicts and with reasonable use of system resources.;)

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Footprint from "BOTH" CyberHawk & System Safety Monitor are very light on this XP Pro system running "only" a mere 512Mb from 2/256 mem modules.

Prevx i know little to nothing about personally, but i do read where some highly prefer it whereas so long as their Hardware can support the heaviness/pull or what have ya' it must be tolerable for them.

I been relying on the above combo along with at least a half a dozen other monitors of sorts from time to time depending on which products have just released a new version, but the above are mainstays and that is exactly the reason why they are home on my units, light but FORMIDABLE!!

20. stubbs100

stubbs100 Registered Member

Hi All,

Prevx1 has a higher footprint then we would like at this stage, but for us it's a trade-off between the real-time protection and performance versus memory. We will continue to improve the resources of the client over time but for now we are more focused on improving the protection.

We have recently submitted Prevx1 to real testing by offering the full product on Virustotal. Unlike some scanners (which are highly tuned specifically for VT) Prevx1 protection is what you get on installation.

http://winnow.oitc.com/AntiVirusPerformance.html

We will continue to improve the protection and ensure we maintain early detection of zero day malware, however this is still early days for Prevx1. The roadmap we have planned (especially v3.0) will continue to improve the strength of Prevx1 and allow us to compete favorably with the leading AV vendors.

Regards,

Prevx Support

21. guest

guest Guest

In this test prevx seems good.
    Someone knows if this test are trustworthy?
    Fortinet and esafe better than kav nod or bitdefender??

If Prevx 1 is comparable to an antivirus why in avcomparatives don't add it to test?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  22. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi all,

I find Prevx seems to run very light ono both my laptop and home computer which is pretty old now.

A lovely peice of software I would not like to be with out!

Cheers

Jlo

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would say that people should love prevx for the nearly zero popups.
    thats the thing i hate about pdm in kav is that there is quite alot of popups.
    and they said they are working on the memory usage but working more on the protection.
    lodore

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If it's directed at me, please note that i'm a Prevx1 user, and i was pointing out that there is no comparison.
    And now i add that i have enough memory. It's not an issue, these days you can get it relatively cheap.
    But it would be better if it were more efficient, that's all. stubbs100 just said they will work on it after they improve protection. And that's all i want:thumb:

25. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It's not actually a test, it's statistics compiled from VirusTotal. You can click the link at the bottom of the page for full details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.