Prevx - How does it compare?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by iwod, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I ask this on another thread but it seems it isn't getting much attention so i post it here.

How does it compare to Worm Guard? Which offer the same function.

I currently have Ad Aware Professional Edition installed and it has a Adware monitor. How does that compare too? Which according to the discription offer similar function.

Isn't this a firewall feature?

Can any body post screenshots of its memory usage?

Looking at the above features, it is like a WormGuard + Process Guard + Registry Monitor + Ad Aware Professoinal Real Time Monitor All in one. But how does Prevx compare to the above combination? And if there are any difference.

I am looking for some views and experience from other members who haven't yet contributed to any Prevx discussion. ( Hello BigC :D ). because so far out of the 5 - 6 threads about Prevx on wilders is mainly posted by namely 4 - 5 person. ( Sorry guys. ;) Edit: opps.... girls as well :D ) So if others who have any test or experience please share.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

It's a pity that eEye doesn't compare Prevx with their Blink. Blink is a corporate level host intrusion detection system. It's in a different league, but probably these products are comparable to some extend.
    There's a nice comparative overview on the Blink product page (no direct link, though)

3. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I tried Prevx, and actually like it, but it was too buggy for me when mysterious things started acting up on my system, and certain things slowed down at times, so I stopped using it myself until they fix the bugs, but all around it is a great program.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Slovak: Prevx was beta until this last week. The final version has been completely bug free for me, you might check it out again.

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

yes for me too, until next week I was experiencing some buffer overflows false positives (what a name :) ) but till the final free release it is working flawlessly besides my pg. it is running 4mb in mem. smoooooth

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Should I reinstall the beta and upgrade from there, or just redownload it?

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Either way should be fine. The only thing I encountered with updating from the beta was that it downloaded but didn't install, so I had to shut down Prevx and run the installer from the Prevx directory. That said, it may be a few less steps to download the new installer.. you can get it from download.com.

8. SvS

SvS Security Expert

PrevX does not fit in any of the categories the products you mentioned belong to. It's a "Host based Intrusion Prevention System" and, as outlined in another post in this thread, may be better compared to eEyes Blink. Now, if you attempt to lock down a workstation by closing the most common attack vectors like Buffer Overflows, ActiveX controls installed while visiting strange pages on the web, reduce the impact of malware messing with your host file, system files and Internet Explorer settings one would use PrevX.

If you want to actually use your system by means of frequently installing software and changing the systems configuration the default settings in PrevX really are overkill, probably will lead to problems when installing stuff (as far as the average home user is concerned) and will slow down the system enormously in some areas.

PrevX will not notify you about every single cookie created on your system, PrevX locks down the portions of the file system and the registry commonly used to place Adware or Spyware in.

No, Firewalls are used to control inbound/outbound connections which may be used by "Hackers" to break in (or out). PrevX prevents buffer overflows in system or third party service from being exploited.

PrevX does not really compare to any of the above, with the exception of AdAware it may have been designed with the same goal in mind but it reduces the areas it protects in to the more common ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.