PrevX failing to protect my system

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Eagle Creek, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Hi!

I'm running PrevX 3.0.5.209. It's running fine, but I've got some issues with it.

PrevX starts to scan my system at, seemingly, random intervals.

I've got no scans scheduled. I do have the "scan automatically after bootup" enabled. However; after bootup nothing happens. 30 min later, the scan starts. Sometimes 45 minutes, sometimes an hour, and sometimes not at all. I also have "only alert me if an infection is found" enabled, but I do always see the scan dialog.
    Edit:
    A scan just started 30 seconds ago. This is the second scan today, while I haven't rebooted the pc.

Another thing that worries me more is the screenshot protection. Usually I see an alert when I try to make a screenshot. However, this isn't always the case. This seems to be randomly too. Right now for example, I can make as many screenshots as I want, without PrevX interfering.

The last issue worries me the most. PrevX sometimes doesn't start up at all. There's no tray icon visible, there's no screenshot protection, and there's no scan when I launch an application. When I select PrevX from the start menu, it pops up in 3 seconds, telling me my system status is protected. Well, it is now maybe o_O.

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise N 32 bits on a laptop.
    There's no other security software installed, except for the Windows firewall.
    The system is up-to-date, and online scanners like Housecall say it's clean. I have no indication that wouldn't be the case.
    Please advice :-*

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello!
    I'll answer your questions in-line :)

This isn't only seemingly random, it is intentionally random :) We need to clarify this better - the bootup scan will start randomly within one hour of bootup to prevent contention during the startup process. There are some instances where it will fire off a scan intentionally: if it detects a new file which could match your age/popularity heuristics, it will tend to run a scan just to be sure everything else is clean.

SafeOnline will only prevent screenshots when a secured website is open or has been opened (i.e. if you first went to https://www.paypal.com and then to http://www.google.com it would still protect the browser in case there was secured information still on-screen). Could you let me know what your SafeOnline settings are for HTTPS and HTTP domains?

We've had some users with similar issues in build .206 when switching users but should have corrected it in .209. As we have just put out the update in the last couple days, could you let me know if you see this again?

Your scan frequency does seem to be more erratic than just the intentional randomization so it might be helpful if you could send a scan log by clicking Tools - Save Scan Results to report@prevxresearch.com so that I can take a closer look if there is anything amiss.

Thanks for the help! :)

3. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought bootup indeed would be "at boot up", like most AV programs do.
    I see. Since I'm using PrevX on a laptop, and scanning is a rather CPU and disk intensive proces, I would like to be able to control PrevX' scans. Obviously, security is a priority, but I use my laptop to do work with, not to keep it secure. When I'm using battery only, I want to conserve as much as power as possible, hence my suprise when PrevX decides to scan out of the blue.

Aha! I thought it was a PrevX feature, rather than a SafeOnline feature. So PrevX isn't protecting my system from malicious screenshots, only SafeOnline is when certain websites are visited. I don't have a SO license, so I set the "free" entry to my bank's website.

Sure. Is there any log or something I can check when it happens again?

I will send you the log file.
    Thanks for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.