Prevx down?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by denis, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denis

denis Registered Member

2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Same here.

3. sded

sded Registered Member

Seems to be back up again. Would not scan, would not update, did not recognize badpx5.exe test file. Yet icon said all was well-another indication against trying to use Prevx as anything but a supplement to another anti-malware program. If Prevx is unable to operate, the user MUST know it.

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The latest RC did notify me that it cannot connect to Prevx's servers.

5. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Another hint that if the future Prevx version can be installed with "local heuristics" problems like this can be avoided

6. sded

sded Registered Member

Which version are you using? 210 said nothing to me. Seems to be up now, except for messages from Infection Control Center. Updating fails also, recognizes there is an update but can't apply it. But previous complete outage is disturbing. Hasn't Prevx always advertised their serve redundancy as preventing catastrophic failure of the infrastructure? And didn't that just happen?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  7. microbial

microbial Registered Member

still down @ 14 50 GMT (website)

scanning seems to work OK

EDIT: website back up @ 14 53 GMT.

Yes I'm procrastinating from doing work atm :)

8. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Prevx is up again and with an update :)

9. sded

sded Registered Member

Seems to be up completely again now. got delayed messages from infection control center over test file, and was just able to update to 212.

10. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello all,
    Sorry for the lack of a response here. We did have a temporary outage to a few countries earlier today due to a wide reaching power failure where our databases are held.

Our website remained off for a while until after we finished mitigating the issue but everything is back up and running fully now.

We're still investigating exactly what caused this and will hopefully have more information soon but we definitely do not want to see this happen again and although it was a short outage, we will shortly have measures in place to prevent this in the future.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this!

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

hey Joe, those servers arent protected by McAfee are they.;)

12. PrevxHelp

Not at all :p

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well this same thing has happened at least once to every vendor so, it may be a blessing is disguise. I have no questions that Prevx will get to the bottom of it and correct it and ensure it doesnt happen again. So if there is a hole, it will be plugged. I think the response time was also very good.:thumb:

14. PrevxHelp

There isn't a security hole - we're still investigating it but the issue was due to a significant amount of our equipment losing power simultaneously (including the power backup systems falling offline).

Power outages are normal but our backup systems are built to step in automatically when one occurs. We aren't quite sure on the cause for this particular outage (and there are some extenuating circumstances in this case as well which muddy the waters of this being a normal outage) but suffice to say we will be doing a lot more than just writing an aggravated email :cautious:

The good news, however, is that we didn't lose any data or detections of new samples in the meantime - they were all cached and have now been processed and the backlog is now empty :)

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I wasnt implying you were hacked. But there was a issue and if you are like who I work for, we dont look for the solution, we also look at how other types of mishaps like this can occur. Say a power outage, you install a backup generator, guess what, I have seen ours not kick in. So what what be our next step to ensure we do not go down. That is what I am referring to and am sure you folks are doing this. Sometimes we become stronger by discovering a weakness.

16. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

PrevxHelp

You should be using Duracell lol :D

Glad you got it sorted ASAP.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yep, a Bunny beating a drum would make for a great avatar. Hmmmmmm.

18. PrevxHelp

Yes, we don't like having to fix things twice :) We'll first fix the issue itself but then we're working on preventing it from happening again and should hopefully have a new system in within the next week or so (hardware isn't quite as easy to move around as software :))

trjam, if you're interested in a new avatar (bit too long but it can be resized :D): http://www.noiseproblems.com/rapidCat/WebPageImages/1202/4091//Energizer2.jpg :D

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

good one Joe. That is why I always love Prevx as number one. They actually know how to relate to their customers. And if MSE doesnt update pretty soon, 3.0 will be back on. My last update was 9/29 at 4:13 and roddy32 posted 216 at 3:48 today. I dont like now having to wait 28 hours for a download that has not come through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.