Prevx destroys screen response and browser text entry

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by alternety, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alternety

alternety Registered Member

For weeks I have had problems with very sluggish screen response. Typing in web browser windows caused words to run together and the extra spaces to appear after the merged words. Running MS solitaire, dragging a card left a permanent trail of card images. I used solitaire as a debugging tool. I have played a LOT of solitaire over the last week or so. This only seemed to happen when FireFox was running (well obviously to type in web screens). I went through and disabled each piece of FF add-on software in turn to determine what would clean up the problem. I ran out of FF items and started on OS installations.

Disabling Prevx fixed it. Completely. System has now returned to responsive (i.e., snappy) screen response. No delay between keystroke/click and screen display.

Something be bad broke.

Win XP 32 bit current, FF 3.5.4, Zone Alarm, SB resident, Spyware Guard.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Could you please let me know what version of Prevx you are currently using so that we can try and diagnose the problem closer?

Thank you!

3. alternety

4. alternety

I have seen nothing about a possible fix. It still does it.

I have run still more scans for bad software. Nothing. The screen smearing with solitaire is intermittent over maybe 10 - 30 seconds. I will be going along and things are fine; then suddenly it makes trails of cards on a move for 10-20 seconds. As an unintended test I had turned Prevx on for a while and then turned it off for 10 minutes. Solitaire was fine and then suddenly smeared. Yup; Prevx was back on.

I just can't allow Prevx to run with this behavior.

5. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    We have still not had any other users come in with similar problems so thus far we have been unable to correct it apparently (although we did improve the overhead of SafeOnline, this sounds like it is interfering at a lower level).

Would you be interested/willing to have myself or one of our other engineers connect via remote support to try and diagnose the problem closer? This would be very useful to help diagnose the problem - please send me a PM if you'd be willing and we can schedule a time :)

6. alternety

Yesterdays update seems to have fixed it

I believe Prevx updated yesterday on my machine. Current is 3.0.5.28. After install, I can play solitaire (my test software) without generating persistent trails of card images when moving a card. Support indicated no one else had reported this sort of thing.

Whatever was not doing it seems to have stopped.:D

I still occasionally see very brief "stutters" on the screen which may be a residual effect from whatever was fixed. Typing on web sites also seems OK.

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I also run Firefox, Prevx and ZA on one computer no conflicts and no sluggishness. Sounds like a conflict on your end bro. Might be SB or Spyware guard conflicting tho I don't know.

8. alternety

Ahh Fajo - the point was that the last Prevx update fixed it.

Unfortunately now my discover card does not work. See new post I am about to make.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I was only stating what I put because you said you still see somewhat of the effects. I thought maybe there be a conflict in the system.

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

What video card are you using?

11. alternety

The Discover card problem is not a display problem. The program breaks.

12. alternety

It would appear I was premature. I have spent hours playing that stupid solitaire for the last couple of days. No problem. Since the problem started, it was never more than a few minutes between problems. I just tried a quick game before going to bed. It is back. Cards leave persistent trail.

Turn off Prevx - it is fine. Turn it back on - trail.

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Have you got any other anti-virus software running in real-time that could be conflicting with Prevx?

14. PrevxHelp

Indeed this is very useful to know. It may also be worth trying to set SafeOnline's protection down to "High" from "Maximum" and then reboot - this will cause some aspects of the screen protection to run in "compatibility" mode which will most likely prevent the issues from occurring.

I've tried playing some Solitaire without luck to reproduce the problems (although I'd have to admit the situation was rather amusing in that I was legitimately playing Solitaire while working :D).

If you still run into the issues after setting protection down to High, let me know so that we can try and investigate closer as to what may be causing it.

Thanks for the patience with this issue!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.