Prevx conflicts w/KeePass and Keyscrambler and SnagIt7

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by sun88, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

XP Pro SP3 + Prevx 304216

Disabled Keyscrambler - OK it has it's own anti-keylogging protection, although I don't know any details about this feature: does it work with all browsers? all programs? Keyscrambler lets me know if it's protecting my active window and that's important.
    Prevented screen capture even with Online protection set to low - I MUST have screen capture ability
    Prevented KeePass from receiving it's keyboard macro - Ctl-Alt-A and also blocked auto-fill. This is painful but I could work around it.
    The online protection could be more flexible, rather than having to turn off a block of features at once via high - low - etc, allow blocking of individual features.

Prevx doesn't show up as a startup process in Winpatrol so I couldn't prevent it from auto-starting.
    It doesn't have an obvious way to turn it off altogether either for the current session or until I decide to run it again.
    The only way I could see to stop it was to uninstall it while it was still running, which thankfully worked, and quickly too - kudos.

My apologies if this has all been covered before, but I don't have time to look through all previous threads.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Prevx should be fully compatible with Keyscrambler - could you please let me know what issues you were seeing?

You will generally need to restart your web browser for the protection changes to take effect. Setting the SafeOnline security configuration to "High" will allow other programs to see the screen contents and will not block screen capture. If you want to allow a screen capture at a specific point and leave it blocked in most other cases, you can right click on the Prevx tray icon and select Stop Protection, which will immediately allow it to see the screen.

Prevx "should" be compatible with KeePass but I'll look into this - I've personally tested two-stroke combinations but admittedly have not tried three-stroke combinations.

We did have the individual configuration before but have moved away from it because it introduced an unnecessary layer of complexity - the current implementation structures the options logically and in a layered order so that moving down one level in protection does not disable anything which wasn't necessary to be enabled in the previous level (i.e. screen contents protection is logically tied to screen grabber protection).

The easiest way to disable Prevx SafeOnline is to click Configure, and then click the "power" button to turn it off, allowing the Prevx antimalware components to still function without interrupting your screenshots/keystrokes.

Let me know if you have any questions!

3. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

Thanks for your advice.
    Keyscrambler told me that it wasn't working, but I don't remember the message. Perhaps this was a misunderstanding on my part. I'll check again.
    You didn't answer my questions about Prevx anti-keylogging. Does it protect all browsers? Does it protect all programs? Does it replace the usefulness of Keyscrambler?

KeePass was rendered completely useless. It couldn't auto-fill and I couldn't even copy and paste a password. Ctl-Alt-A is the combination to activate KeePass - it didn't work, but KeePass could be activated with the mouse.

Thanks for the tip on using the power button to de-activate Safe Online. That makes it likely that I will give it another try.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Prevx protects all browsers but does not protect other programs (which is where KeyScrambler would show benefit over Prevx's approach).

I'll forward this information to our internal testers to try and get some details on what may be causing the problems and will let you know what we come up with!

Thank you for the reports :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.