prevx buffer overflow etc

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by lynchknot, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Hello. Just wondering what the buffer overflow is and as the same time received this from process guard:

30 Oct 16:17:11 - [EXECUTION] c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe with commandline c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs was ALLOWED to run
    30 Oct 16:17:13 - [P] c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe [9940] tried to gain WRITE access on c:\program files\processguard free\dcsuserprot.exe [1388]

Prevx:

2. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

This has happened to me twice with Prevx. I posted in this thread , there was a useful suggestion on how to diagnose the problem, but it's too infrequent an occurrence to make that worthwhile for me. I'm not sure how WilliamP is getting on.

For more information on buffer overflow, see this post by Paranoid2000. As he explains, it's a technique typically used by hackers; some worms (e.g. Sasser) also exploit this vulnerability to infect systems. However, the alerts from Prevx are almost certainly the result of some glitch or conflict. Incidentally, SP2 also features buffer overflow protection.

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Hi guys I have removed Prevx. I don't have anything bad to say about Prevx. Never heard anything from Prevx support. I just got tired of the popups. In each case there wasn't anything sinister.

4. lynchknot

I have sent reports to Prevx as well but never heard any replies. This is not the first occurrence, this is one of many. Thanks for responding guys.

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I recently tried Prevx and it locked-up my system at boot-up! Uninstalled it and reinstalled it only to have the same problem. When I related this to Prevx support, they asked me to try changing a few settings. I guess they didn't understand that I can't do that (or anything esle) when my system is locked-up and not responding! :eek:

Actually, I suspect there may be a conflict with my ZoneAlarm Security Suite and/or Ewido (both in my startup). But if that's the case, I'm not willing to disable either one, so goodbye Prevx.

6. lynchknot

Well, I could be wrong but Prevx may be a better layer of protection than i'm willing to part with. You can always change Firewalls to something more compatible. I use Outpost pro. And Ewido? I have it but the free version - on demand.
    The buffer overflow has not caused any disabling - only displaying a bufferoverflow alert. As long as I see no blue screen, I feel it's not too critical - of couse, as I said, I could be completely wrong... :) My post is out of concern for what is happening that I don't understand. Pehaps it is a compatibility issue but I don't see Prevx being a contributing factor itself.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Hmm... my PC reacted like I'd hit it with a stun grenade, but nothing a reboot wouldn't fix.
    My feelings exactly. :) As I've only had this problem twice it's not really an issue for me, but I guess one option would be to disable the buffer overflow protection in Prevx and rely on SP2 to do the job, while retaining Prevx's safeguards for the registry and files.

Pvsurfer - did you try rebooting into safe mode so Prevx wouldn't start up, and then you could open it and change the settings? And what changes did the company recommend?

8. lynchknot

Are you sure the buffer overflow warning was/is a factor of your desktop becoming unresponsive?

9. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

When I got the buffer overflow the computer would slow way down. I went into task manager and the CPU would be 85 to100% Since removing Prevx I haven't had a problem. I would have to reboot to get it to stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.