Prevx: ABC, Pro or Expert mode?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CJsDad, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Which one do you use?

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Pro on this machine, on two others: business mode (=abc)
    I can see on this machine what is happening on the two others regarding malware :)

Gerard

3. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

If you wish to have more control on programs (even the legitimate one), you need to use Expert mode. Sometimes you would like to control the behaviour of a legitimate program too. That's why I prefer Expert mode.

However there are some annoyances about it. When I set it to block something, Prevx1 keep alerting me like hell every time it block the same entry. So the dialog will popup, say, every 10 somthing seconds. :ouch:

But if you switch back to Pro or ABC mode, you can't contorl what legitimate programs do.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Erm, just remember that Expert mode is not made for everyday use, it's made for testing and troubleshooting. The old Prevx worked like that, but when it was found that way wasn't providing any real protection, it was scrapped and re-written. The way it is now focuses the prompts on files that might actually be malware. There's not much point in having you control something already known to be good. Don't worry, contrary to what you might think there's no sacrifice in security by receiving less prompts. The fact is that by focusing the prompts you gain a lot more security, in practice, if for no other reason than because you will give real consideration to the prompts that you do see. There are a lot of heuristic rules that are created, and continually added to, by malware experts whose job it is to watch what malware is doing "out there" in realtime (as well as retrospectively). You've probably seen similar lists in other programs with about 20 rules or so, then you add to them to increase the effectiveness. With Prevx1 you have malware experts continually maintaining a massive list of rules according to what malware is actually doing, and where the trends are headed.

ABC or Pro mode are both good for everyday use, depending on your comfort level. If you want the extra information about what's going on behind the scenes in your system, enable the Event Notification in the Preferences tab. This will ultimately serve you much better; you'll recieve more information (you'll get a better picture of what's happening) and it doesn't take long to start enjoying the "silence". In other words: Relax. Prevx1 doesn't rely on your expertise to be effective, you're not gaining anything by running in Expert mode other than additional potential for frustration.

If all you do is refuse to allow anything unknown to run on your system, you'll have pretty much all the malware out there covered. The database is large enough that you'll not likely be missing anything, and within a couple days it will likely be marked good or bad anyway. You can also always write in to support if something unknown isn't getting determined.

5. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

For me ABC is fine.

6. muf

muf Registered Member

Pro mode for me.

muf

7. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Yes, it does.

Sometimes legitimate programs just do bad (but not harmful) things too. This may include phoning home (connectng out), popping annoying dialogs/windows, keep adding itself to autorun, and so on.

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

ABC mode for me

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Forcably changing the way that legitimate apps operate is likely to do more harm than good, but if you REALLY insist on doing that then you should change to Expert mode, create the rules, then change back to Pro mode, rather than running in Expert mode full-time. One of the main points of Prevx1, however, is that it doesn't cause the kind of problems caused by such things.

10. austin1257

austin1257 Infrequent Poster

pro mode for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.