Prevx 3.0 Oddity

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Anth-Unit, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anth-Unit

Anth-Unit Registered Member

This has happened to me a couple of times while using Prevx. It'll pop up with a message like active malware detected or something -- I don't know what it says exactly because the message disappears rather quickly. This time it popped up with an actual file name -- it had driver something in the name -- before it vanished. Prevx then starts scanning again and returns a system clean message. Now, usually I'd go into the undo cleanup menu in prevx to see if it has quarantined anything, but it tells me that prevx has not cleaned anything and when I try to save a scan logfile it opens notepad and tells me "Access is denied." I've reinstalled a couple of times now and it has only identified the infection about three times now. Prevx tends to detect it shortly after install and subsequent scans detect nothing. I'm not sure what's going on and I'm a little paranoid.

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Could be a false positive that Prevx has now corrected. I would suggest doing a scan, saving the scan file and submit it to Prevx or by Private E-Mail to Joe (PrevxHelp). He is regularly on this forum. If you can recall the file you can submit it here: http://www.virustotal.com/

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. Anth-Unit

It keeps showing up on re-install of prevx. But nothing shows up in the logs and when it detects it, the detection window vanishes and it says my system is clean.

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Hopefully Joe will stop by with more advice.

5. Anth-Unit

Hopefully. One more thing: the number of scans keeps going up while I leave it idle. It was at 6 like 10 minutes ago, now it's at 7. I'm not sure if it's some kind of scheduled scan or if it keeps detecting it.

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Just noticed the thread - I've sent you a PM with my email address. If you still can't save the log to disk to attach to an email, you may want to try coming into our customer support inbox where I'll take a look at what you're sending up by giving you a test license key so that I can find the data associated with your computer.

Regarding the scans - a scan is automatically done ~45 minutes after installation to recheck any files, and then the rest of the scans occur on the normal schedule.

7. Anth-Unit

I managed to save the log and send it to the email address you provided in the PM.

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    I've analyzed your log and the files which are detected are detected because you have maximum/"paranoid" heuristics enabled and they are indeed legitimate.

I suspect you're experiencing inconsistent warnings after scanning because the files are being automatically trusted after your initial warning.

I've now trusted the other files in the log so you shouldn't experience any further warnings, but let me know if you run into any other problems or experience any similar warnings :)

9. Anth-Unit

Sorry, read your message too quickly. Though some notification that the files were being auto trusted would have taken some of the anxiety away :p

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.