Prevx 2 - Compatability with other security software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gren, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Been looking at Prevx for a while and am pleased to see it gets such a great reception here.

Now that version 2 is here I thought the time was right to try it but wondered how well it worked with other software or even whether i sould drop some of my current protection when I install Prevx.

Currently I'm running (on Vista HP 32 bit) :

NOD32
    BOClean
    SpywareTerminator (Real Time + HIPS activated)
    Spyware Blaster

On Demand :

SuperAntiSpyware Free
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot Search & Destroy

No firewall other than the Vista one although I'm behind a Netgear router with firewall.

I use a mixture of IE7 and FF2 to browse.

Was thinking that there would be overlap with BOClean and the real time/HIPS elements of SpywareTerminator - maybe I could drop them from my repertoire?

Any thoughts from anyone?

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I'm running Prevx2 with NOD and BoClean...no conflicts so far

3. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi

I have no experience of Boclean, but you need to consider using EITHER Spyware Terminator or Prevx2. Running them both would seem overkill. Remember that if you install Prevx2, that you must temporarily disable AMON in Nod32, it will re-enable itself on reboot.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I tested with all of those except Spyware Terminator and never had any problems.

5. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Gonna drop the real time part of ST and then give Prevx2 a go.

6. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I installed Prevx2 with NOD running and no problems

7. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I asked this in the other topic about Online Armor, but does anyone think Prevx2 needs the addition of the free version of OA?

8. skylights

skylights Registered Member

I'd be interested in the answer to this too. More specifically, do the features mostly overlap or are they complimentary? And, do the programs conflict with each other or do they play well together?

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I´ve been using Prevx1 since last august and my experience is that Prevx is compatible with anything. I install and uninstall a lot of software, including various security apps, and never had any problems. Sure, one or two jails (which was rapidly fixed by the support) but nothing more.
    Now I only have to encounter some actual malware from somewhere (it is harder than one would think) to make a final statement of the effectiveness of Prevx2 but compatibility wise = :thumb:

10. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I am running Prevx with Nav 2007 and Boclean with no conflicts.

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Running fine along side the rest in my sig.(so far)

12. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I'm running it with Comodo FP and GeSWall. No problems whatsoever.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  13. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Thanks all. 2 days in and everything is okay.

Bit uncomfortable at first with dropping Vista UAC (am one for the few that doesn't mind the extra clicking) but seems okay - I gues Prevx does a similar job anyway. Tried it with UAC and although it installed okay it would not load up with each reboot without a lot of fuss.

14. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I am running Prevx2 along with WinPatrol, Nod32 and Sandboxie on one machine and WinPatrol, Nod32 and DefenseWall 2 beta on another with no problems.

Also FD-ISR and ATI on both plus a firewalled router and Firefox.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  15. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Have your backups with both FD-ISR and ATI work without errors on restoration?

dja2k

16. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

Prevx2 working well with all the other security programs on my signature.

17. duke1959

So is or has anyone ran Spyware Terminator with HIPS enabled and Prevx2 together? I think since ST isn't a full blown HIPS, and Prevx is a more subtle HIPS than others, they may complement each other pretty well.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  18. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Not tried it. First thing I did (well second after disabling UAC) was to disable the real time element of ST.

May have a look into it this weekend.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I have the same question regarding ST HIPS and its ability to get along with Prevx2.0.

If you have gone back to enabling the HIPS, please say how things are working.

Thank you.

20. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Oops sorry! ...........Note to self. Follow up comments with actions. Will try tonight

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I did not disable AMON as I was unaware of needing to do that. But Prevx and NOD seem to be running fine. Was the AMON issue isolated to a few NOD32 users experiences? Or should I reinstall Prevx?

22. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Okay, so running Prevx2, NOD32, BOClean, Counterspy , ZA Free and ST with HIPS all in real time.........seems okay so far. Just doing a bit of surfing though so no doubt there's plenty of time for things to go pear shaped.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT - A few hours of surfing, downloading on-line gaming etc and all seems fine. Lots of pop-ups from ST and the odd one from the other security apps but that will calm down. No sign of any slowdowns or clashes so far and will only post now if anything goes wrong.

To be honest the setup seems a little (or a lot) over the top. Especially as I'm waiting for Comodo forewall to be ready for Vista so I can swap ZA for it. Comodo comes with its own HIPS element in version 3.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I installed Prevx2.0 on my computers yesterday and right now I'm feeling pretty good about that decision. Still running in ABC mode. My experience with ST HIPS enabled is like yours, no problem. I upgraded to Prevx 2.0 v1.0.2 Build 53 earlier today and all is well with that. Good luck with your softwares and thanks for the feed back.

24. duke1959

Glad to hear that Page42. Gren is that the latest version of ZA Free you're using?

25. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

Are other people getting the message 'The PrevX security agent has not been loaded'. There's a little envelope flashing in the PrevX icon in my tray, and when I click on it, I get status good, and the message about the security agent.

Besides Prevx, running SSM (full) NOD32, Looknstop, PeerGuardian, AVG anti-spyware (trial version) and AdMuncher on XP pro, SP2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.