Previewing searched pages - any danger?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by yeow, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Previewing pages as in image below. For compromised websites, can the threat be carried over too?

Attached Files:

2. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Any idea abt this? Say if there's an.....iframe, javascript or watchacallit exploit on the actual website - will the threat be carried over to the "preview" too?

I'm thinking, most likely "yes"? Or I'm paranoid, it's perfectly safe? :doubt: :doubt:

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Depends how the preview function is implemented.

It could parse the code - or not ... really depends ... it could merely download the page to the cache, without executing scripts, and show a thumbnail screenshot or something ...

What browser, OS?

Mrk

4. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Thanks for asking. The example above is Firefox using Google Fx script for Greasemonkey. There're other add-ons that show preview windows too, iirc I might have tried CoolPreviews long ago.

Not using any of them now, but curious as to how they work wrt to what u wrote below.
    If previews load faster than loading the webpages themselves, will this generally indicate that some kind of cache images are shown?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.