PreView 1.0 - Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by squash, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Registered Member

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yup, I've been checking it out and I like it. It's still in BETA, and has a little ways to go, but it's a nice little tool to give you some basic idea of where you're at.

3. tophat

tophat Guest

Looks interesting. Have you tried it yet yourself or are you waiting for someone else to tell you it's safe to try first? I wonder what score you would get if you buy their other product Qwik-fix. I may give it a try myself. Thanks for posting about it.

4. squash

squash Registered Member

Indeed.

I am just waiting for some one else's comments. :)
    Better safe then sorry.

5. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

This has been discussed . Preview is nothing more than a way to get you to buy Quik-Fix . It is an unfair check . As I posted before , it gave me an A- for patches . The minus was because I was in need of a patch for SP 1 . I USE SP 2 ! Failed the AV test as NOD is not recognized . Need I say more ?

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

NOD32 is recognized for my machine.. have you updated it?

BTW, it's BETA .. meaning, if you have suggestions for how it could be improved, tell them! It will detect if you have hardened the system with tools besides Qwik-Fix, but obviously if they thought anything outside of what Qwik-Fix covered was important, they would include it in Qwik-Fix. Of course there is some bias towards their own product, that goes without saying.

IMO this is something that is potentially useful for newer users that want a good idea as to whether they have most of the basics covered, especially with the basic firewall test.

The patch I think you're talking about is the Hyper Terminal patch, which is kinda confusing.. the consumer page indicates SP2 isn't affected, but the IT pro page says SP2 is.. (the IT pro page allows you to download the patch on it's own without going through Windows Update)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873339

7. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I tried it. What I feel is that it is simply a way to promote their own products. It doesnt recognize Avast! either. Many of the links in the program were not functioning and need rework.
    In short, nothing great!

Abhishek

8. tophat

tophat Guest

I tried it and would say it does seem like a big ad for Qwik-fix, though is helpful in other ways also.

I failed the first test, the Threat Center, I guess they want me to buy Qwik-fix lol. Got a "C" on the Security Software and I'm running all kinds of stuff, and still got only a "C". It does seem somewhat limited on what it detects here, it didn't detect Pest Patrol, Prevx, WinPatrol and a few others I have. Passed everything else.

I wonder if using programs like SecureIT and SafeXP would give me a better score on the first test? I'm not currently using them. But I am using many smaller hardening tools like Dsostop, Htastop, WWDC, ect... Anyone use SafeXP and/or SecureIT and passed the first test?

9. hollywoodpc

My mistake . NOD is detected . But , it counts against you if you do not have 4 or 5 ( I cannot remember ) AV programs on your machine . The bottom line is , it is NOT good for newbies because they are the ones that will flock to buy their crap . Newbies will not understand what this test is doing . This is bad all the way around . It is funny . I am considered a security expert . I am secured . For threats I get an F . The next one ( forgot the name ) a C , and , for patches , an A- . The test is wrong all the way around . If you know about how your system is set up , run the test and you will see . Stay away . The test is WRONG ! Right for them but , too many things are not considered . And , it is not that particular patch . I am updated there

10. hollywoodpc

NOPE ! I use them . So what . Still failed . lol . Trust me on this one or you will lose your money

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I think you're a little quick to bash this product, hollywood.. the program is still in it's testing phase. Have you given them any feedback/suggestions on the product yet?

12. tophat

tophat Guest

Thanks Hollywoodpc, I wasn't planning on buying Qwik-fix just to clairify things. I never really liked Qwik-fix even when it was free. I tried it then and it gave me a lot of trouble. Right now I think I already have almost enough security software.....almost because I'm always trying new things and looking for new ways to improve my security.

13. squash

squash Registered Member

Thanks guys, I'm not thinking of trying it anymore. Thanks for saving my valuable time and effort. :)

14. hollywoodpc

Notok .
    It is nothing more than a way to get you to purchase their product . An opinion was asked about this . Beta or not , it is wayyyy off the mark . And I have not given Pivx any feedback . Not planning too . If you cannot see what they are trying to do , look harder . ( Although , it should seem obvious ) . To be fair to Notok , I will not post on this anymore . Help yourself . But , I did try to explain the obvious . Good luck and sorry for bashing it Notok .

Enjoy

15. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

Notok,

I have to agree with Hollywoodpc...I received an F, a C and an A for a 47 rating. clicking on the recommend software button does nothing other than take you to Qwik-Fix Pro. If they were not trying to prey on, and make money from, normal users then they would actually show a selection of software and not their own.

Just because of that it makes me question any validity to the software's testing.

Bill

16. hollywoodpc

WY .
    Not only where the button takes you but , the SCORE . I can assure you that I am as secure as a home computer can be . I got a 48 . Uh ...HELLO . What is wrong with this picture . Oops . Sorry . Not posting anymore . Sorry . I broke my word . No more from me on this now .

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hollywood, I didn't mean anything personal here. All I'm saying is that personally I will need a little more information before branding PreView as a scam. Why don't we try to look at this thing objectivly? If suggestions are made and Pivx refuses to detect hardening done by any other products, then I will fully agree that it's a scam, but we're not there yet.

Think about it - of course it's going to be biased towards their own product, but if you look on their forum you will see that their intention is to make it so that it will detect if any other 3rd party hardeners have been used, and raise your score accordingly. PreView is still in Beta, which means that they still have a lot of work to do on it, but they need user feedback so they know what changes to make... that's the whole point of a beta release. They have also stated that additional firewalls and antivirus programs will be added in as users tell them about it. I already suggested in their forum that they should grey out the antivirus & firewall products that are not detected when one is, they stated that they went with it this way because they think it would be easier for the newbies to grasp, so they could see what all it detects. It's something they are looking at, so I get the impression that this will change.

So far I've only seen one other person make suggestions in the Pivx forum, if everyone just goes with the knee-jerk reaction that it's nothing but propaganda, then that's exactly how it will remain. This was personally my first reaction as well, but after looking at the firewall testing, etc, and thinking about it, I realized that there's a lot more potential than that. Putting aside the initial reaction and taking in what they have stated they are trying to do has raised my interest in this program a little. How many other security audit programs have you seen to help home users establish a baseline? System hardening IS important, and it's something I feel is too often overlooked when it comes to security software. This will at least give users an idea that they should do more than install any old antivirus and firewall.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005

18. Considered by whom? :)

Methinks a lot of people are taking this personally, because their super secured, impenetrable by superhackers system was given a F grade by the test :)

The irony is, these tests will only be used initally by people who are certain their systems are secure, people who will not accept any result but a Pass. But if you are already sure your system is secure why test it?

That said I got exactly the same results as everyone here.And I'm pissed!!

Hopefully that will be done soon. IMHO this is the only part of the software that has value and innovative. Testing for existence of patches, security software is something that is common, even though they have typically seldom made a good job of it because coverage of recognised software is extremely limited.

19. slim30097

slim30097 Registered Member

I believe my grade was F, C, A, A, 48 - looks like I'm destined to repeat second grade. Also, did anyone understand the grading system?

This is really an unfair comment on my part - my effort at understanding the test was weak. My pride took a hit, clueless newbie's comments are not totally without merit but might have been stated with a bit more tact. Also, Notok's point about user feedback is a convincing argument - this is a freeware product and security testers are not that common.

The inherent bias toward's the developer's product is troubling & work is needed on the results presentation. Providing Pivx with feedback seems fair since I did use the product, although the product could be considered a form of adware. This was not a fun thread!

Take care everyone,

Slim

20. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Lol Cluelessnewb, right on!! When I read this discussion, I think I won't do the testing myself ... bad for my hearth ... and probably couldn't take F for my setup ;)

Personally I thought it was a good program...kinda like Prevx...must be mistaken.
    trying to help young software/coders if you will, like a lot of peeps here - gotta love Wilders :) - and I truely think that when something begins and "starts" bad it therefore doesn't have to end up bad too...obvious off course. that's indeed the meaning of an open beta.

I can tell you that some other beta's I trialled a while ago...they are selling it now "finished and pro" but still feels like it was the first time :)

21. slim30097

There is a new beta version out that is apparently a bit more forgiving, my score on the new beta version is F, B+, A, A, 69 - up from F, C, A, A, 48 with basically the same security setup. Perhaps the next beta version will shoot me up into the 90s. It does seem peculiar that the same security software now rates a B+ and a 21 point increase in my score. Probably need to purchase their recommended shareware bundle ($100.95). NAH! Think I'll stick whut brung me - 3 trojans, 1 minor virus & don't need all my fingers to count spyware/adware detection/removal over a 12 month period. Acceptable risk for this tightwad. I do plan on buying SpySweeper, been banned from the trial version - deservedly so.

Knowledge is the best form of security & this forum is a great place to learn. I still plan on providing some feedback to PivX, the test does not factor in alternate browsers or intrusion detection apps. Also, failed to mention my JPEG scanner & Rootkit Revealer - kinda hurt my feelings.

Slim

22. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I'm sure there will be some of that, but the good thing is that it will show people that they do need to do some hardening.

Pivx is a pretty visible company, though, so I'd imagine that there will be a lot of people that will find PreView on the start of their quest to get better secured. Pivx also gets some ink in popular computer magazines, too, which I'm sure will help.

I've been playing with scanning with and without Qwik-Fix enabled, and there isn't really a lot that it's mis-reporting.. only a couple things, and this latest update fixed some of them. I'm staying on them about fixing the rest, though.

23. slim30097

I agree with the need to avoid complacence in security matters. However, at the risk of sounding like a heretic - please don't ban me from this site - there seems to be diminishing returns & problems with a lack of knowledge in how to properly utilize some security products.

I was a beta tester for Quik-Fix Pro several months ago. Apparently PivX needed some feedback from the clueless crowd. I had to drop out after 4 to 5 weeks because the product was creating problems for me that I could not handle, given my lack of knowledge & experience. Granted, it was a beta product & I have little doubt PivX has fine-tuned it into something more user-friendly. I do have a high opinion of this company.

I just feel that some sort of risk analysis is needed & certain security measures require a far greater-than-average knowledge from the user (average being buy a new computer when the current one ceases to function due to infection overload - I have actually seen evidence of this on nightly newscasts & experienced it in person from talking to novice users). I am still uncertain what "hardening Windows" means.

To be fair & in the hope of gaining knowledge, I plan to run a trial version if certain criteria are met:

1) There is a restore function.
    2) The program does not need to run continuously or if so, the demand on system resources is minimal.

The second point is demanding, most security software products require significant resources to function.

My final point is - what happens after a catastrophic event & your OS has to be reinstalled? IMO, that is the ultimate benchmark in setting your security standards. I do not keep private info on my PC & religiously back up my data. Perhaps purchasing disk imaging software such as Acronis True Image would be a more efficient use of funds (sorry, I'm an accountant by trade & instincts/training dictate this behavior).

I must emphasize that this is totally related to my personal situation - each user must decide what is needed. I also do not want to make the impression that I take PC security lightly. I have spent countless hours struggling with firewall configuration, keep everything updated & monitor what is going on in my system. I just wonder whether this product is more suited to users with far more to lose than me. Just my personal opinion - for what it's worth.

My heartfelt appreciation for all the advice & knowledge gained from the members of this forum - I shudder to think where I would be otherwise. Probably buying a new computer twice a year - a tempting thought - would love a 3+G processor, 1G RAM & a fancy graphics card.

24. cluessnewbie

cluessnewbie Guest

No No. My system is hardened already! Secureit/harden it does almost the same things as qwifix, hardens mycomputer zone, removes dangerous protocols etc etc. And yet preview still lists problems that it states can be solved by hardening the mycomputer zone.

Looks to me they are recognising the product not the effect .

Heh, I sure sound like the people I'm critising.

25. Very wise.

I meant no offense with my point about the people using security testing products. It just seems to me that this always inevitably happens whenever a new security testing product is released.

Security freaks (not necessarily experts), try out these products and are incensed that the tests don't cover every conceviable product, or don't consider other alternative defences on their system and as a result giving them a fail grade.

And that's when the tests are wrong, and when they are right.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.