Preventing apps from grabbing a screenshot

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by GrammatonCleric, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I would like to prevent an app from grabbing a screenshot.
    Now let see if I got this correct:

If I configure the Identity Protection to ALLOW a Specific Process as Opposed to PROTECT the process then will let say a screenshotting app be able to grab a screenshot of the ALLOWED process but not the PROTECTED process?

How about if I add the screenshotting process to the DENIED portion of the Identity Protection? Will the process still be able to grab a screenshot?

Also, does the ID protection protect against any and all screenshotting even if it's not to grab a screenshot or image of a website? For example I have a private software that I input my data into it's a Graphical Engine based designer and I want to prevent any other software from grabbing a screen shot of what I am working on in terms of game design. Is there a way to isolate that game design engine/program/process from having it's screenshot grabbed?

I don't want any virus/trojan/ what have you from stealing my Intellectual Property and I was wondering if I can use WebRoot to help with that.

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Easiest way to control capturing of screenshots is to uncheck "Allow trusted screen ..." in Identity Shield setting. Thus you will always get a prompt to Allow or Block to take a screen.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If you set the Graphical Engine designer to Protect, any untrusted screencapture tool will be blocked (including any malware) from seeing it. You may want to uncheck "Allow trusted screen capture programs access to protected screen contents" under Identity Shield settings in case you have a non-malicious screencapture tool come into the system.

Let me know if you have any questions!

4. GrammatonCleric

Ok tried it with an old game that was running a screen capture tool punk buster.
    I have added the game into allowed an the processes of Pnkbstr to denied.

The punkbuster was still able to grab a screenshot when i told it to. No prompt from Webroot.

Then I added the game to Protected...at which point I could not play the game since none of my keypad mappings were working....but Punkbuster still was able to grab a screenshot. But in protected mode the game is unplayable since the mapped keys are not being captured.

I had to test it with an old game since I don't know if Punkbuster phones home with the images.

So if a process like Punkbuster can grab a 3D Engine output from another process then I assume someone could engineer another method to grab a screenshot of the engine I am working on.

Sorry being a tad paranoid. The engine is about to released and I don't want news about it leaking out before it's time....don't want any screenshot leaks.

Thanks!

Should I invest in Zemmana Anti-keylogger? I read that, it has anti-screen grabbing also. I don't know if it's done the same way.

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I misunderstood - I thought you were looking to protect the designer application (software/a text editor/or something along those lines). 3D output won't be filtered or blocked as it falls down a different stack within the OS. The Identity Shield is primarily focused around blocking identity stealing applications and can protect more conventional applications (like word processors, spreadsheets, and browsers) but 3D games will fall outside of this.

I don't know if Zemana would block this but my guess is that they won't as it would require specific effort on their side to protect 3D games, but it could be worth trying (and for what it's worth, you can use WSA alongside Zemana to block malware as well).

However, I suggest that you test on a PC which is completely offline if at all possible, if you're looking to fully prevent any possible leakage.

6. GrammatonCleric

Yeah I am testing offline now but we re-connect ocassionaly in order to synch branches. Oh well.

Thanks though!
    I will keep searching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.