Prevent progam to update!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by RebeccaV, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebeccaV

RebeccaV Registered Member

Hi,
    How can I prevent a program (a children’s matt game) to connect internet for updates and upgrades.
    Every time my daughter plays the game it connects internet for updates or wants me to upgrade to a newer version.
    Please can someone give me a solution for this problem?
    Thanks,
    Rebecca

2. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Re: Prevent progam to udate!

I assume there is no option in the game to disable check for updates, and i assume you don't have an outbound firewall where you can block it.

In this case you could try blocking it in your windows HOSTS file, browse to:

There is a file there called HOSTS it's text but has no .txt extension. If you open it in Notepad, at the very bottom put:

Code:
    127.0.0.1  example.com
    127.0.0.1  www.example.com
    Just replace example with the actual games web site address and it will block it, but do note you won't be able to browse the site it in your browser either it will just show 404.

If that's not an issue, then the above is one solution.

3. RebeccaV

RebeccaV Registered Member

I got this solution from a other forum;

Roger_Kun says:
    "click the start menu type "fire", click the link that says "Windows firewall with advanced security". Click outbound rules and set it up for the program you want to block and the same for the inbound side."

Is this solution possible in Eset Smart Security 4?
    I use Windows XP Pro!

@1boss1:
    I searched and found the hosts-file but can't open it with notepad because a error "access denied"

thanks,
    Rebecca

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I just looked at the features of Eset Smart Security 4 as yes it states it has a 2 way firewall which will work.

I'm not familiar with it, however you should be able to deny the game outbound connections to prevent it from connecting to the internet.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

This suggestion is not applicable to your system as you are using Windows XP, and on top of that, not using Windows Firewall either.

I suppose you are using ESS in automatic mode, so the rule for your game was automatically created to allow it. You should first change the interface to "Advanced Mode" (from "Setup" on the left side) and go to "Personal Firewall". Now click on "Configure Rules and Zones" (on the right side), and in the "Rules" tab find your application (game). Edit the rule so that instead of "Allow" it says "Block". If you have problems understanding this, I can post screenshots.

I am just wondering why was this thread moved from "ESET Smart Security" boards where it shoud've gotten the best attention. As I am not using ESS, I had to go through various inconveniences for this post.

6. stimulator32

stimulator32 Registered Member

When you change the Firewall to "Advanced Mode" , it will prompt you to choose allowing or denying the game connection when it begin to update ..

Choose 'remember the rule' then 'deny' ..

If you are not familiar with the Advenced mode of the firewall , you ought to change after that to 'Automatic mode withe exceptions' ; so you you are in the automatic mode with maintaining your denying rule at the same time ..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.