Prevent Flash from Leaking your IP Address

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by lotuseclat79, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Prevent Flash from Leaking your IP Address.

I came upon this article by doing a DuckDuckGo SSL search for "how to tell if flash leaks your ip address", and thought that posting it for information purposes might be useful.

I do not know how to verify it, so if anyone can run a test to verify it, please do so and report back with your results.

I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and apparently do not have the mms.cfg file, but assume that I can add it in the directory where the Flash Player library (.so) is located.

-- Tom

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Tom,

You can download the guide flash_player_11_8_admin_guide.pdf here:
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

About the location it says:
    I'm not sure whether that will help you; I don't have Linux nor Ubuntu.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

wonder if that really works. just those two lines?
    i've noticed that a lot of people have commented on or been worried about Flash leaking IP and it seems like an easy fix there.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Interestingly, i don't have that file Anywhere in my XP/SP2 comp. Now whether not having it would still cause a leak ?

It's "possible" that my using BleachBit/Privazer etc flushes it out ?

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I have it on my XP-home SP3.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg

I have Flash installed for IE (IE:cool:.

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

7. Reality

Reality Registered Member

FanJ I have the file on my XP Pro SP3. However the part youve quoted below, is that what should be in this file or is that something else? Mines only 1KB in size :doubt: which when I open in notepad pertains to Auto update and silent update.

8. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

good find.

i also drag a shortcut to the Flash Player settings mgr to the desktop from here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\FlashPlayerApp.exe

and it seems like even though i set it to block all options if i open it up a few mintues later all the settings have changed o_O

per that article i don't see a way to lock the folder in WinXP(?) but i did try making the settings file "read-only" once and that seemed to interfere with the flash websites

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The best way is to put Flash in a VM that always accesses the Internet through networks of gateway VMs as VPN and Tor clients. There's no way for Flash to leak your ISP-assigned IP address, except by breaking out of the VM (which is possible, but not likely unless you're worth spending a 0-day).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.