Prevent bad malaware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by chaos16, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I got
    kaspersky pro

zonealarm pro

spywareblaster

microsoft antispyware

spybot-search & destroy

adaware se

ewido

&

a2

now i would like another security program like spywareblaster one that prevents trojans, spyware etc......

now i would like one free but if not i will buy is the only ones that prevent trojans worms, viruses, spyware are PG and prevx are those the only programs that prevento_O??

isn't there ones that prevents that u install and automatically it protects automatically like spywareblaster.

can u give me a list of all the programs that prevents bad things from coming in to ur computer pls....

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

PrevX does have a free version, you just have to put up with a lot of popups (if you update or install anything) and frequent dialing home (reporting events that break its default policies).

Both PG and RegDefend are one off fees.

Safe-n-Sec is currently in beta (so free at the moment)

AntiMalware from Trustware is also in beta and free at the moment (this is a virtual newcomer, so no one is entirely certain how good it is, but it looks promising).

3. chaos16

can u pls give me links to all of them

thnx alot

wat does antimalware

4. googler

googler Guest

Google. ;)

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

6. chaos16

Re: Prevent bad malware

which of those prevents viruses, worms, trojans, spyware etc... better.
    But which one of all those are better at blockingo_O
    is it safe 'n' sec o_O??

and they are compatible with the products that i typed at the topo_O?

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Chaos16,

My chosen setup is:

Kaspersky Pro, ProcessGuard, and RegDefend. I consider it a very strong defense. You may want to read some comments on this setup:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=76978

I do not like Prevx Home because it is monitoring every alert (as Vikoor indicated), collecting the data in their home database, and selling the information to subscribers. It is anonymous, but I do not like it when security vendors monitor my behavior. It seems like a conflict in company and technological purpose.

http://www.prevx.com/PrevxHomeAudit.pdf

I never was able to install Prevx Pro on my machine, probably due to some conflict somewhere. Ditto for Safe n Secure.

Rich

8. chaos16

can the free version of process guard prevent viruses, worms, trojans, spyware etc or not reallyo_O??

coz the free version can only do these things does this prevent all kind of malware or not reallyo_O?

Control Application execution
    Protect applications from termination
    Protect applications from modification
    Protect applications from viewing

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I am trialing Safe n Sec at this moment. After the first reboot, it reports two programs that I had to confirm. Then, nothing else happened. That could well be one great product, if I ever knew how to test it. My system is clean, so there is nothing to defend against. At least it doesn t bother you with lots of messages, very clean interface and it looks to be very stable.

Now, where can I catch a system cold..?

10. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

The free version of PG is nowhere near as good as the paid version. It's limited functionality, as you pointed out...will stop your running processes from being infected or terminated (some trojans terminate security apps), and will stop standalone trojans from running (so long as you dont permit them too). The paid version is really a fantastic piece of software as it's global protection settings rock against the nastiest types of trojans (RAT's, Keyloggers, CWS, and ones that inject drivers)

As for what prevents trojans/worms/spyware the best...either a combo of PG/PrevX or a Combo or PG/Regdefend (but I'm talking about the paid version of PG in these combo's).

They will prevent nasties trojans/worms/spyware (not necessarily including viruses) from installing (so long as you take the time to learn them).

Safe-n-sec is a good concept, which provides another layer of defence, but from tests I've seen, it's probably on a par with Panda TruPrevent at the moment (So SnS will probably get better), that is, it seems to stop about 2/3 of attacks....it's non signature based.

AntiMalware (you'll have to look up google for the link) has a very good concept...but I haven't seen any tests on it. Basically they have a 'white list' of accepted programs (what is on your comp when you install - so it needs to be clean) and anything new goes on the 'black list' (unless you change it to trusted)....anything on the blacklist is allowed to run and function, but isn't allowed to make changes on your computer....what that means for certain types of trojans, like password thiefs and the likes I don't know, but against most it seems it will be very effective.

I tried the beta of AntiMalware but unfortunately my computer hung when I rebooted, and I'm not willing to uninstall PrevX and PG to see if they were the conflict.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.