Pre/Post Before/After ... HELP!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Donald_Gibson, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donald_Gibson

Donald_Gibson Registered Member

Greetings!

I just started this IT job and I am not too good on backups. I need to backup this server that runs windows server2000. Since I can not use VSS I need to manually shut down the services. I have spend the last 3 hours reading on this forum trying to find someone with a similar problem with what I have.

I know that I need to stop services before I initiate a backup because I do not want the backup job to have problems. I went under the Control Panel>Admin. Tools> Services to view all of the services I have. I also went to the command prompt and types in “net start” to view all of the services I have running.

My question to you guys is this – How do I pause the services that are running so I can do a backup of the server? I noticed there is a Pre/post commands section in the backup wizard as well as a Before/After data capture commands in there too. This is all Greek to me because I don’t know how to pause these things. I looked in the Acronis manual and this section seemed to be a little bare. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance :D

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

Actually you do not pause services, you stop them.

You get two .BAT files :

stop.bat :

net stop "netlogon"
    net stop "ntfrs"

Start.bat :

net start "netlogon"
    net start "ntfrs"

that is for a DC for example.

I would recommend doing just before your image a NTBackup of system state just in case ;)

Jaycee

3. Donald_Gibson

I made two batch files, "start.bat" and "end.bat". I am going to try what you said and run them before the backup. Hopefully everything works.

4. Donald_Gibson

Lucky for me this SQL server is on a 2003 server. I just enabled VSS. I have two batch files now. One is Start and the other is called stop. This is what each of the .bat file looks like:

net start ntfrs
    net start netlogon

net stop ntfrs
    net stop netlogon

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    So when i am on a, lets say a, windows 2000 machine under the PRE/POST commands in the backup utility underal set options manually. I link the begining to the stop. Then i like the end to the Start feature?

Another question. How do i know what programs to stop?

5. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Well you'll see the errors in Acronis error Log...

For each error in the log, you'll have to look at a stop/start system.

In most case it will just be fine!

netlogon and ntfrs is only for Active Directory Domain Controllers, on other servers no use!

Jaycee

6. Donald_Gibson

Thanks Jaycee! I thank you for the information you have provided me with. Now I have a better understanding of the start/stop as well as the batch commands for the DC's. THanks again! :D

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Donald_Gibson,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

In addition to what jaycee said, I would also recommend you to take a look at this post from this previous thread and another post from this previous thread describing in details how to back up a Domain Controller.

Please also notice that you don't have to manually stop the services on a server that supports VSS. Please see paragraph "Database support" of chapter "Creating backup archives" of the respective User's Guide for more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.