Pre/Post Before/After ... HELP!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Donald_Gibson, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donald_Gibson

Donald_Gibson Registered Member

Greetings!

I just started this IT job and I am not too good on backups. I need to backup this server that runs windows server2000. Since I can not use VSS I need to manually shut down the services. I have spend the last 3 hours reading on this forum trying to find someone with a similar problem with what I have.

I know that I need to stop services before I initiate a backup because I do not want the backup job to have problems. I went under the Control Panel>Admin. Tools> Services to view all of the services I have. I also went to the command prompt and types in “net start” to view all of the services I have running.

My question to you guys is this – How do I pause the services that are running so I can do a backup of the server? I noticed there is a Pre/post commands section in the backup wizard as well as a Before/After data capture commands in there too. This is all Greek to me because I don’t know how to pause these things. I looked in the Acronis manual and this section seemed to be a little bare. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance :D

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

Actually you do not pause services, you stop them.

You get two .BAT files :

stop.bat :

net stop "netlogon"
    net stop "ntfrs"

Start.bat :

net start "netlogon"
    net start "ntfrs"

that is for a DC for example.

I would recommend doing just before your image a NTBackup of system state just in case ;)

Jaycee

3. Donald_Gibson

I made two batch files, "start.bat" and "end.bat". I am going to try what you said and run them before the backup. Hopefully everything works.

4. Donald_Gibson

Lucky for me this SQL server is on a 2003 server. I just enabled VSS. I have two batch files now. One is Start and the other is called stop. This is what each of the .bat file looks like:

net start ntfrs
    net start netlogon

net stop ntfrs
    net stop netlogon

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    So when i am on a, lets say a, windows 2000 machine under the PRE/POST commands in the backup utility underal set options manually. I link the begining to the stop. Then i like the end to the Start feature?

Another question. How do i know what programs to stop?

5. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Well you'll see the errors in Acronis error Log...

For each error in the log, you'll have to look at a stop/start system.

In most case it will just be fine!

netlogon and ntfrs is only for Active Directory Domain Controllers, on other servers no use!

Jaycee

6. Donald_Gibson

Thanks Jaycee! I thank you for the information you have provided me with. Now I have a better understanding of the start/stop as well as the batch commands for the DC's. THanks again! :D

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Donald_Gibson,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

In addition to what jaycee said, I would also recommend you to take a look at this post from this previous thread and another post from this previous thread describing in details how to back up a Domain Controller.

Please also notice that you don't have to manually stop the services on a server that supports VSS. Please see paragraph "Database support" of chapter "Creating backup archives" of the respective User's Guide for more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.