PowerShadow shut down Problem

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by WilliamP, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I also have HP/MCE pre-installed, but have no "PC Angel" or "recguard.exe". However I used to experience the sudded reboot or shadow-mode "half-engaging". Now I exit ALL running programs before engaging and the problem disappeared. I don't mean pausing, I mean actually exiting all progies! Dozen or more successful shadow-modes since engaging this way...

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Monty,do you mean all security programs?

3. 19monty64

ALL security programs, dunno about firewall tho....don't have one.

4. WilliamP

I tried, but it didn't work.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I never recommend this method to anyone except for myself BUT you can reboot with your XP CD and choose to leave the current file system intact, and then allow the XP installer to do a complete refresh of ALL your system files and start from scratch but you WILL NOT lose any of your programs doing this, only you may have to reinstall them again so they fall in line with the new PATHS they will depend on. I done this several times before but it always cleared away any problems i experienced before between programs not functioning like they should. The only drawback is the time required to reinstall again your programs but the disc will be like new minus whatever conflicts created earlier issues.

Like i say i don't recommend this, not that it doesn't work because it does, it's the burden of having to reset all your programs again because windows will have you select a different install folder then Windows to put the system back on track again. It's the only method i discovered that keeps your system and programs intact but flushes away problems that you otherwise can't get a handle on.

6. WilliamP

I don't know if this is the problem or not. In XP Pro. if I do a search for WAVE there is a WAVE folder that is not in Home. C:\WINDOWS\Help\SBSI\TrainingXPPRO\Content 45mb. When I try to shut down PS after it locks up the pop up says WAVE doesn't want to shut down.

7. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

I think your system may be affected by some malware.
    suggest you find out what processes are running .
    wave.exe? ------ It has nothing to do with PS , I've never heard of that.

In my xp-sp2 system, there is no such folder in windows help directory, I recommend to erase such files.
    -----maybe these files are harmless, but not nessasary for windows to run

8. WilliamP

It wasn't WAVE.exe. The pop up said WAVE wouldn't shut down. This pop up appeared after the screen did it's wavy thing and locked up. The pop up came as shutting down for re-boot. See my last post as for the possible origin of WAVE.

9. 19monty64

I found the following... "SBSI on NTFS Systems When you install the SBSI training program on an NTFS partition, users other than those with administrator or power user privileges may not be able to access the training content. The Readme.txt file for SBSI describes this issue and states:
    In order to correct this, all users must be given read/write privileges to all the files in the Database folder of the training title (usually found in C:\windows\help\sbsi\training).
    To avoid having to grant write access for all users to the database files in the C:\Windows\Help\SBSI\Training folder, run the Q307460.exe file." located here... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309248

10. WilliamP

I wonder what would happen if I were to delete that WAVE folder? Of course I'm not sure that it is the problem with PS.

11. 19monty64

Create back-ups before erasing, just to be on the safe side. You may need to check "properties" of the file in question, there is a permissions-issue it would seem.

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No. You don't have to erase anything. To be safe just perform a simple CUT & PASTE to another folder someplace on your drive. I learned this is best at preventing mistakes from my years working with peoples hijackthis log issues.

If it solves the matter then you can eliminate it permanantly but if not and you erase it then you've lost valuable time and fall to frustrations you don't have to go thru.

Regards EASTER

13. WilliamP

I have just been informed by PS support that PS 2.6 doesn't support SATA drives and of course my Dell 8400 has a SATA drive.

14. mitchelson

V2.8.2 has solved such problem

15. WilliamP

How do I get 2.8?

16. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

17. mitchelson

http://www.powershadow.com/download/powershadow_ch_2.8.2.zip

This is chinese version (permenant FREE , but need registeration through email and user name----will be invalid till June 11th ) ; SO maybe you need translate it into english.

As I known, somebody in this forum seems has done the job----just replace some files ?

18. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  19. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I also have a problem with the shutdown/reboot. I installed the 2.6 ver. last night and I went into single shadow mode myself and it went flawlessly. I made a few changes to test and then rebooted. I created a notepad file and it was still there but couldn't access it. A pop up said "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log of alternative copy. The recovery was successful." Then I think it said something about running checkdisk. I can't remember the exact steps I took after that. I did uninstall PS, ran CC cleaner and restored the reg with Erunt. On the reboot something went wrong the screen went blank so I press ctrl-alt-del. and the computer booted up and ran Checkdisk itself. It seemed to fix some of the files I added and deleted (I have a log of this from the event viewer) and then continued on to the desktop.

I'm running an e-machines XP home SP2 preinstalled, c: NTFS, d: FAT32(small recovery drive)both with xtra space, Avast home, Comodo, A-squared and Winpatrol. I also have the recguard.exe. I have uphclean running also since it has to do with shutdown, would that be a problem?

I really like how this program works and want to get it working. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you, innerpeace

20. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Ok, I installed the 2.8 version this time and everything seems better so far :) . I enabled full shadow mode and created a small text file, then ran ccleaner which deleted 23MB. I then restarted my computer to normal mode and the file was gone and the 23MB were back. :D I think I found a new favorite program. Keeping fingers crossed.

Cheers, innerpeace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.