Powershadow and Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by soccerfan, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

The powershadow thread here indicates a lot of happy and satisfied users (with few exceptions).
    I'd like to know if any have switched to returnil lately, and if so, for what reasons.

soccerfan

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I couldn't use Powershadow, because of Raid 0. ReturnIl couldn't at first but they solved it.

Between Powershadow,ShadowDefender(which I own) and Returnil(which I own), my choice is Returnil, because of their support.

Pete

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Still happily using powershadow here. Its always run great. If returnil offers multiple drive protection in future i may look at switching.

4. soccerfan

Same here, farmerlee. Since I do not have a raid (or sata) drive,
    I wonder if it is really worthwhile switching to returnil?

soccerfan

5. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I used PowerShadow on my desktop computer for quite some time and it did its job well. I have Returnil on my laptop. I prefer Returnil, for one thing Returnil will protect the MBR while PS 2.6 won't. Also, PS always took about 10 seconds to go into shadow mode (system protection). Returnil goes into session lock (system protection) immediately. I recently switched to Returnil on my desktop as well and I am glad I did, other than the fact that uninstalling PS bluescreened my computer which took a repair install of Windows to fix. You also have Coldmoon in here all the time to answer questions, etc about Returnil should you experience a problem. I never have though. PS you are more on your own I think.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I have both PS version 2.8.2 and Returnil installed on this machine. It's not recommended having both installed together, but after reading that I few people did so, I tried it. I don't run both protections together, I only have them installed and pick and chose which one I want run.

PS version 2.8.2 is supposed to protect the MBR. I had to use this version because 2.6 wouldn't work and caused me major problems. I like both PS and Returnil. Returnil's support (Hi Mike) is also top notch which gives it a huge advantage.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I am of course a HUGE Power Shadow fanatic. Since it's first introduction by Chuck57 in another topic, i fell very strongly for it and still install it in every single unit i got, well, hard drives that is :)

I was somewhat hesitant at first with Returnil being new and all, and PS had already been put through the Wilder's ring-of-fire of scrutiny, and even a Kill-Disk test which it passed easily, courtesy Peter2150.

I have yet to experience any problems with PS and have all but given up finding any LoL, but with Retunil's latest release and the very timely and helpful support from it's representative here in the forums (Coldmoon), i'm finding myself leaning more in favor of Retunil lately.

Yes, Power Shadow covers the entire drive where Retunil is limited to a single one ATM, but they're working on that.

8. soccerfan

Thanks easter and innerpeace. Since nobody who has actually switched (except firebyte and perhaps Pete) has responded, my final question is: what is the best way to uninstall powershadow without causing any bluescreens that firebyte faced.

soccerfan

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Soccerfan

Can't help you on that other than I would for sure image the system while it's not in shadowmode. That way you can at least recover. Also be sure to use an imaging program such as Acronis or Shadowprotect, the images and restores all of track 0. I don't know about paragon, but I am pretty sure Drive snapshot, and IFD/IFW don't. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Pete

10. soccerfan

Thanks Pete, I do have TrueImage and ghost2003 and I do image my system weekly. So recovery should not be a problem. Just hoping there is a way to avoid problems (such as the one firebyte experienced) in the first place.

soccerfan

11. innerpeace

Hi soccerfan, I think firebyte did everything right. Here is what I copied saved in case I needed it. I hope it helps and good luck.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Paragon Drive BackUp Pro also does the same and if it didn't i for one couldn't make use of it at all. I can't say the same about some of the other Paragon releases with any certainty such as Hard Drive Manager and Drive Copy, i have no luck with DriveCopy at all but then i believe it was geared more to Cloning than imaging and at the time i just didn't have the space to do a full move job.

PDBU Pro does an OUTSTANDING job and it images plus restores within very reasonable time limits, as well as restores beautifully in my recent experiences with it.

13. soccerfan

innerpeace, that is just the kind of uninstallation advice I was looking for.
    Should any ps related services be stopped too (before step 3 of your guide)?

Easter, thanks for reminding me! I did get Paragon HDM asa free program from their site
    a while back. I may give it a try too, but so far, I have had no problems making/restoring images with TI and ghost2003.

soccerfan

14. soccerfan

And my sincere apologies to Firebytes for missing the 's' in his nick in several of my posts:oops:

soccerfan

15. 2good

2good Guest

I finally switched to Returnil having used power shadow all a long, returnil seems so much better, goes in shadow mode immediately not to mention phoning home for some reason , its a freeware does a very good job , and I dont have to get scared every time I want to uninstall powershadow

16. innerpeace

Honestly soccerfan I don't know. It probably wouldn't hurt to try to disable the ps service before uninstalling. It might even be a good idea to try the uninstall in safe mode. I would assume the service would not be active then (in safe mode) and if not you could probably kill it then uninstall.

That's just my inexperienced opinion and probably what I would do. I uninstalled 2.6 immediately after install and trying it out because it didn't like my setup. I can't remember exactly now how I uninstalled it except for I followed the instructions I provided. I can't remember if I went into safe mode or not. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

17. Kaupp

Kaupp Registered Member

hi
    I started getting strange error messages from Powershadow and tried to uninstall it and got a bsod, so I'm using Returnil now and it's working fine.

regards

Kaupp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.