Powerline adapters vs. wi-fi?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by o1ofuis4u, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o1ofuis4u

o1ofuis4u Registered Member

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I've used them for years at home and work with no problems. Speed for me is somewhat between wifi and wired.

I've recently bought some new ones (HD 500) that are pass-through plugs, come with wifi also and have 4 ports which cuts down on the number of plugs you would need in one room. In other rooms I went for the socket version so you have one side a plug socket and the other side of the wall socket four ports. You need at least two plugs with one connected to your router - best to start with a kit of two or three, then you can add individual plugs when needed. You can usually mix them but I mostly bought Devolo or Netgear, Cisco Linksys make a nice plug also.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I have had very good luck with TrendNet powerline adapters. I don't have any personal experience with the Actiontec adapters that your link points to at Best Buy, but I can say that the 500Mbps adapters I have used are significantly faster than Wifi and very close to 10BASE-T wired ethernet in actual throughput.

4. o1ofuis4u

o1ofuis4u Registered Member

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. I ended getting the Actiontec Powerlink adapters, and so far so good. Happy with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.