Powerdesk Pro Alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chattycathy, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

In your opinion, what is a good file management program equivalent to Powerdesk? I'm using Powerdesk Pro 6 with Windows XP Pro. Service Pack 3 but it sometimes gives me trouble. When that happens I go to Windows Explorer but it just doesn't do as much as Powerdesk. I tried Directory Opus but it's more complicated than I prefer. I had downloaded and tried just for a few days Xplorer2 but this was before I tried Directory Opus. I didn't use it the full trial period and really don't remember how it was and made the mistake of uninstalling before the trial period was up. Is Xplorer2 a good alternative to Powerdesk? If not, what is?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you try xplorer² lite (freeware but less features than pro) ?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I found directory opus to complicated at first trial but then tryed it again and liked it so much i brought it.

after awhile you get used to it.
    I have created a custom toolbar,use dual panel view etc.
    I hate it when im on computers without it now.

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Try Q-Dir. Very Simple you might like it.

5. chattycathy

No, I don't think I did. What is the difference in them? Would it help me in deciding whether I would like to purchase it or not?

6. layman

layman Registered Member

As a former Powerdesk user, myself, I'd suggest you take a look at a43. It's free, portable, and has built-in zip. I've tried all the usual suspects, but prefer the straightforward feature set of a43. It has some elegantly simple features such as Quick Launch and Folders shortcuts, and is more capable than might appear at first glance. The author has removed some features (notably graphics preview and a hex editor) to get the program running in Windows 7, but it still suits my needs pretty well.

7. chattycathy

I"m using Directory Opus on a trial period now if I can just figure it out. Can you recommend a good place to learn how to configure this program? I've gone to their web site but haven't had much luck and I've found some forums that I've been reading about it but it's still complicated to me. I'm slowly learning but is there an easier way?

For everyone that responded with their suggestions, I am trying them out. Thanks!

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there is somegood guides here

9. chattycathy

Ok, thanks. I'll give them a try.

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

xplorer2 professional here.
    Very good support w/ an active, helpful forum.
    Tried some of the others, but they were not as feature laden, or they offered too much, making them awkward / confusing.

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Same here. Try the lite/free version as it may be all you need. Personally, I stopped using Powerdesk Pro because it was just too unstable.

12. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Some years ago I tested many of these programs and settled on XYPlorer for mhyself, quite a fine program and fairly straightforward with a few small exceptions. At least for the most part I did not require too much time with the help files etc.

13. newbino

newbino Registered Member

this thread which is just a few months old should give you some good background

14. chattycathy

I tried this but the following is what I got: No Thread specified. Either the link you followed is invalid or the Thread no longer exists."

Thanks anyway.

15. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I don't use a file manager myself, but might take at look at FreeCommander it has excellent reviews and offers pro features completely for free.

Thanks.:)

16. bgoodman4

17. chattycathy

Do any of these programs allow you to put the file viewer in the bottom pane rarther than the left or right. I've tried the xplorer lite and it does not allow it. Any suggestions?

18. newbino

newbino Registered Member

19. bgoodman4

Yes, XYplorer will allow that (as you can see from the pic below). One of the many nice features of XYplorer in this area is that if you left click on the file shown in the preview pane it is scaled up to full screen for as long as you hold the click (as shown in the 2nd pic). Once you release it, the doc goes back to normal preview size.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      222.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      257.4 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.