PowerDesk Pro 7 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Attached Files:

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Chubb,

I too got a discount :)
    I got it automatically. I'm in Europe, and got a discount of EUR 15,80

Other than checking with my scanners, I have had yet no time to have a closer look; sorry!!! :oops:

Maybe there is indeed not such a button, but I see the Undo option in the Edit Menu of PD7. Posting a screenshot however is maybe not very usefull since it is in Dutch (I run XP-home SP2 Dutch).

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I don't like that too !

It's just that I'm an old user of PowerDesk, but that doesn't have to mean that it's the best....

Forgive me possible spelling errors.... a little history...
    Mijenix > Ontrack > VCOM > Avanquest

7. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Registered Member

Does anyone know if version 6 has to be uninstalled before installing version 7? Also on my systems version 6 would sometimes hang in memory and would not shut down when you terminated the program and then you have problems starting another copy or even shutting down the PC sometimes. Has this problem been fixed?

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

It's nice! They've fixed a few annoying bugs and all in all, I think it's quite a deal. Especially the upgrade price linked in an earlier post.
    Powerdesk is good even if you never do anything but use the context menu "file finder" (right click on drive or folder) - about a thousand times faster than XP's built-in search. Seriously.

10. Isurus

Isurus Registered Member

Works great for moving images around different media. Quite disappointing, though, that the program's preview pane cannot display Office 2007 documents properly, considering that this version touts Vista compatibility and Vista's built-in explorer has a preview pane which can.

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

It is a pity that PowerDesk 7 is still not written in unicode. All Japanese characters became "?" in Vista. Directory Opus 9.X is written in unicode and is much better.

12. bisrock

bisrock Registered Member

Hi, I have been using this product since way before it was acquired by all the companies that have bought and sold it. in the mid 80's it was Xtree DOS. Then, Xtree Gold then it was gone for a while.

Anyway, I have been using Powerdesk for a long, long time on a daily basis. I have to say that 95% of what is in powerdesk 6 is THE SAME in 7! Even the "new features", I am still looking for -with their touting new image handling and the "image toolbar". It may be there but they have not made it easy to find! So, IMHO, the only real difference is the ability to use in Vista...PERIOD and they are trying to make a few bucks off that rather than offering a real update/upgrade to those who previously bought the product and are still happy with XP.

I bought the upgrade only hoping they fixed the problem where is takes 45 seconds+ to load all the files in a large folder so I can view just a list of them. I mean, HOW HARD IS THAT TO DO? What is weird is... I can open windows explorer while it's trying to get it together and get the same folder's files listed in 10-12 seconds!!

I still am addicted to the dual pane. That is why I tolerate it but really there are so little differences in the 2 versions, if you are not trying to get it to work with Vista, I wouldn't bother. Pretty much the same scenario with System Suite 7 to 8. Nice utilities yet not much difference between the two.
    Some new colors or fonts would have been nice but nothing. Same old stuff.

Hope this helps someone.

13. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

And I am a bit concerned about the after sales support provided by Avanquest. It seems like it is mainly targeting for sales. In the past, when a new build is out, VCOM will send me an updated full installer. Not sure if Avanquest will offer the same.

14. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Xtree Gold Rocks. Them were the days lol ...don't forget Directory Opus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.