Powerchute and NOD32 BE 3.0 - issues for DC

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acidack, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acidack

acidack Registered Member

Just a heads up. I had a DC where I installed Eset NOD32BE 3.0 with Remote server. This pretty much brought down a Windows 2003 domain controller. None of the client PCs were talking to it. There screens would be stuck at "Apply Settings".

I solved it by stopping the PowerChute Network Shutdown service and that immediately fixed the issue. I unstalled Powerchute v6, installed the new APC Powerchute 7 version and that worked fine as well.

I do not understand how all of a sudden, installing NOD32, triggered Powerchute to cause havoc on the DC.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Wow...I haven't seen this issue in a long time...but I remember when it was widespread....back a few years ago...late summer of '05.

Actually this has nothing to do with NOD32...or any antivirus...this was a widely known issue back a few years ago with version 6 of Powerchute, an expired java certificate. The symptom was the server hung during the bootup process...applying computer settings.
    http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

The issue was fixed by rebooting the server into safe mode..uninstalling the old Powerchute..and installing the latest version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.