Power shadow VS MS shared computer toolkit.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Horus37, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  2. Horus37

Ok someone has to know something about this program. If this program is free and operates like power shadow AND is in english already AND freezes the computer for safe surfing then why has no one tried it out yet? It's been out for awhile. Plus did I say it's free?

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've never heard of it. Never saw it listed while I was looking for something to replace Shadowsurfer. That might be because of the specific search I was doing. I'm no expert, barely even classified as a newbie, but I'll see if I can find out something about it.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

MS shared computer toolkit DEMANDS :thumbd: SP2 which i will never ruin my PC by installing it no matter what, plus malware writers also tend to focus their efforts in the direction of the latest "patches" giving them more attention so what's the use right?

Power Shadow blows it out of the ball park anyway AFAIK. No it's not the end-all of virtualization/shadowing apps but by golly it is very formidable and an absolute breeze to use which dismisses any sessions when you exit out of shadow mode with a next reboot.

Entering Power Shadow mode is simple, you simply press START! and your protection begins in earnest.

5. Horus37

Most of the security apps I've installed and run require sp 2. I've never known an xp install without sp2 so I will just put up with it I guess.

I'm curious if you've even run Ms shared computer toolkit? Just reading over the instructions it seems like you have to create a seperate partition manually which seems a bit cumbersome however it says that you can do antivirus and ms path updates without having to come out of the disk protect mode. Interesting.

I'm using power shadow right now inside a fdisr snapshot which is booted up in a limited user account. I really like power shadow and find that you don't have to defrag so much as you do if using just straight FDISR in freeze mode. However you can't beat FDISR for it's emergency recover abilities compared to what I've seen from other utilities like it. That's how I found the MS shared toolkit. I'm surprised since the ms toolkit has been out for this long that no one has really ever tried it here.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I've seen it mentioned here afew times, I've looked at it sometime ago.
    Its been updated and has support, yeah you got to create a partition x amount of the size of your disk and if I remember rightly you have to download the user profile hive cleanup also. FAQ.

7. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

The fact that its from Microsoft is enough for me to pass on this and if you read the .PDF on this program it talks about being able to set limits and user rights for access etc., I just dont like the fact that its a microsoft program considering all the gossip thats going on especially with the new DRM they got on Vista, it just seems to me another way to get a foot onto your box that has XP installed IMO. :doubt:

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Interesting note and thanks for sharing that. I really myself haven't considered such of your results but deem them excellent and very noteworthy, so thanks again for making mention of yet another benefit to be found with Power Shadow.

I have heard plus read absolutely nothing but pure praise over FirstDefense-InstantSystemRecovery. I am seriously going to have to invest in that Snapshot Application because it just simply makes sense to have a perfect duplicate of your system to return to in event of problem booting etc.

Thanks

Regards EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.