Power outage while resizing partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by JamieB, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieB

JamieB Registered Member

Hello everyone.

While resizing a partition on an auxilliary HDD the power supply was cut. Windows would not restart and I was prompted to insatll a recovery disk. I used my paragon partitiom manager 11 recovery disk. This started the PC and informed me that the resizing operation had been interupted and asked if I wanted to continue with the operation (warning me that if I did not, disk information would be destroyed.) I allowed the operation to continue. An hour or so later I returned to the PC to find that now the root menu of the recovery screen was displayed. I removed the Paragon recovery disk and restarted the PC. It restarted as normal and I find that the drive has had its partitions resized as requested. UNFORTUNATELY the larger partition is now marked as "unallocated" (It was my "R" drive) whilst the smaller partition is marked as a "Local Disk(*)" and has no drive letter - was "D". The disk is not reported in windows explorer. Although most of the data on this drive's partitions was backed up some of it was not. Is there anything more that I can do to recover this drive?

Thanks for any help

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Please attach a screenshot so I can see what how the diskmap appears, but you should be able to right click on the un-allocated space and choose to recover lost partition. which will then bring up a un-delete partition wizard follow through choosing quick , conventional, and then thorough and specify your file system. depending on which one shows the results of your partition choose it and attempt to complete the recovery.

3. JamieB

JamieB Registered Member

Using the Paragon undelete partition wizard is the first thing I tried but although the wizard seemed to be scanning for lost partitions over several hours, nothing happened.

Paragon informed me that they did not have software that could recover lost data so I searched the web and came up with the free version of EraseUS Partition manager.

This immediately displayed the damaged partition and showed that the unallocated space contained all the lost folders and files with a drive letter together with a large chunk of unallocated space, i.e. three (instead of two) partions on the drive. I am glad to say the lost data was recovered over about 45 minutes after which I assigned correct drive letters and adsorbed the unallocated space into one of the data partitions.

If anyone wants to see the drive structures before during and after fixing and the differences between the images presented by Paragon and EaseUS pasrtition manages I will be glad to publish them here.

The problem is solved and the errors corrected and I am a happy bunny!

Kindest etc.

J

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It would be very interesting to see - might be very helpful, too.

5. JamieB

JamieB Registered Member

Hi,

I only have a picture of the drive structure after it was fixed now (attached) but the offending disk was the Basic hard disk 2. The partition now labeled R was just shown as (unformatted). The partition on the same drive was labelled as it is in the picture but it did not have a letter asigned - was shown as (*).

regards

J

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.