Power ISO and adware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by david banner, Apr 1, 2015.

1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Not sure where to put this

I downloaded a trial of the 64 bit and there were adware components to uncheck.I unchecked them
    I tried the 32 bit and NAV deleted it as having open candy.

Bit much putting it in the paid version even though they flag you. But if open candy is in the 64 bit it means my pc was scanned before i got the offer? i think OC scans to know what we have so it does not offer something installed

Can anyone recommend a ISO prog which will create a bootable USB iso

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I don't think there is anything to worry about once you opt of the programs offered.
    Rufus does a good job of creating a bootable USB flash drive from an iso. Is this what you had in mind?
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

OpenCandy does not get install on your system. It is only used to offer extra software during the install process of Power ISO and many other software. Anything leftover from OpenCandy will just be harmless traces.

4. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I cant speak for NAV but I use NOD and have seen OC alerts before. It seems to block/remove the offending dll prior to it ever getting launched resulting in 'clean' installs on my end. It may work differently with NAV but if it was caught and you didn't receive 3rd party offers it's a safe bet that you were protected from it ever launching as well. As Roger says, it doesn't install anything on your system itself which may be why some AV's don't even pick it up despite multiple reports....but I'm among those that think of it as a PUP as that is its only purpose.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, some AVs delete the OpenCandy componets, which means that the installer will still run, but you won't be shown any third party offers as the OpenCandy components are missing. However some other antiviruses will quarantine the whole installer with OpenCandy when it is download or launched.

6. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Sure.... UltraISO It's one of my favorite ISO programs....

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-use-ultraiso-software-to-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

7. AJ79

AJ79 Registered Member

There's a PowerISO retail version installer w/o opencandy additional components.

Rufus is probably the best you want, its tailored for bootable USB installation media.

8. david banner

Thanks guys. i do not like oc scanning the pc before making offer. But i had opened in sandbox and checking firewall logs see no connection out was allowed.

9. david banner

Thanks but i would not support any company with any connection to oc as power iso do. Will look at rufus, thanks

10. david banner

Thanks . I tried that but it would not boot. It was not a windows OS i was booting but an acronis iso made from within acronis 2014. Does the iso have to be made with ultraiso for it to work. Here is a screenshot of what i got. Note last two lines . waited and hit return but nothing happened

EDIT. It did work when i used run from cd see attached moba live screenshot. same iso, the one made with acronis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.