Potentialy a stupid question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

This is possibly a stupid question that may set me up for some ridicule, but not knowing much about this and the technology i thought i would inquire.

And that is i have a Scanner attached to my computer, and as my computer is attached to the phone line through the internet connection, is there anyway i can fax someone through my computer.

I dont know much about faxing but it seems to me like it could potentialy be feasable as all the neccisary equipment seems to be there so i thought i would ask.

If so what software would i need to do this.

I ask as there is one company that i wish to use for my University work and they will only accept documents through post or fax, post is taking such a long time so i wanted to check into he possibility of faxing.

Thank you
    Anthony

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Try Norton WinFax, i use it and is very good.

Try here

3. AnthonyG

Thanks but two things,

1. How would i set that up to use with a broadband connection as it seems to only like a 56k

and 2. How do i use it with thunderbird as it says please set outlook as your default mail client (but i dont have it only outlook express)

4. Stephanos G.

i have this and no problem. I have a dsl connection, but it uses my cable (dial up) modem.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I do not have any personal experience in this area....and since some of your past posts reference MSAS(Win2K\XP support only)....I'll assume you have XP :doubt:

If so....you might want to take a peek at the below Microsoft article.

This one---> Faxing in Windows XP

6. AnthonyG

Thanks Bubba but this is also not recognising my Broadband Modem

What do i do to recognise it

Attached Files:

7. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

A modem connection (not DSL) is reqiured, per the last part of the MS article in Bubba's post......

[CENTER]Faxing Options for DSL or Cable Modems
    You can't use your DSL or cable connection for faxing. A new technology, Voice over IP (VoIP) will undoubtedly make this possible in the future. VoIP is an inexpensive alternative to traditional telephone communication that operates over the public switched telephone network (PSTN). VoIP covers computer-to-computer, computer-to-telephone, and telephone-based communications. For more information about VoIP, read the Voice-over-IP Overview and the VoIP FAQ from DLS Reports.

If you're without a modem or you don't want to tie up your phone line, an Internet-based fax service might work best for you. Visit the sites of Internet faxing services, among them eFax, and Faxaway and read their FAQs. Which service you choose depends on your pattern of fax usage. Some have excellent international rates, for example, but if you don't send faxes to other countries that probably doesn't matter to you. Also some services require that you use their software to read incoming faxes.[/CENTER]

Your scanner may also include fax software, but still have the DSL matter to resolve.

8. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I have the same situation, so I use the regular phone line for the relatively short time it takes to fax a document.

9. Stephanos G.

U can use the Norton winfax only if u have a cable modem. Does your pc have? Check the device manager.

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

We have a standard Netcomm 56k internal modem running the built in XP Faxing software on a LAN with ADSL, and have done so for many years without issue.

I use the XP Fax over Winfax because XP default saves everything as a .TIF file, whereas Winfax has its own format, which is really annoying if you need to forward anything via email or save and give it to someone.

Cheers :D

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have a fax program on my xp machine and I am useing cable internet connection which makes it impossible to send a fax unless i plug in a phone line to my 56k modem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.