Possible virus?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by richrf, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

There was some funny behavior on my son's machine - e.g. problems with downloads, Windows Explorer, etc. Also, there was a folder called anti-shizzle which had icons for most of the AVs, ATs, ASs, that I had on the machine. I went through a cleaning expedition. TDS-3 found and occurrence of MiniBugTransporter. CWShredded indicated that there may be an infected file in the Windows directory which I cleaned.

Things are relatively stable now, but there are still problems. When I pull up the Windows Search program, there are no search fields displayed on the left-hand menu area.

Does this sound symptomatic of CoolWebSearch or any other virus anyone has run into? I am thinking about taking some backups of vital data and just reloading XP. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.

Rich

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Rich there is a new CWS downloader/exploit out, BOClean detects it. Whether it's related to your problem.... o_O No idea, personally i would panic reformat/reinstall. ;) :D But perhaps Blackspear's GENERAL Virus and Trojan removal Instructions can help you. :)

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Don,

Thanks for the help.

This is what I have run all with the latest update:

1) Kav 4.5.104 with latest updates scan - found nothing
    2) NOD32 (trial) scan - found nothing
    3) TDS-3 - found trace of minibugtransport dll
    4) Giant Anti-spyware - found trace of minibuttransporter in registry
    5) Ewido - found an ad cookie
    6) Ad-ware SE - found an ad cookie
    7) Spybot - found nothing
    :cool: Stinger - found nothing
    9) Hijackthis - a couple of BHO files (I didn't recognize) so I deleted
    10) BOClean is running, but didn't detect anything
    11) TrojanHunter 4 - found nothing

There is also other nasty behaviors which I am discovering. Windows Updates doesn't work and certain buttons, as when I am trying to install Noron Systemswords, don't work.

I am not going to panic, because it is my son's machine and the most he is going to lose is some "images" as well as some past homework. Of the two, I think you can guess which is more important to him.

I think that if I take a backup of some of the non-executables at this point and restore them after I re-install, I should be alright. But I am hoping to definitively identify the virus in some way so I know what else may be infected.

Thanks again for the help.

Rich

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Rich, you may want to try the following:

Place your Windows CD in the CDROM drive, click start > run, type in CMD, when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow"

SFC (System File Checker, a part of Windows File Protection) will replace any changed/damaged system files with a clean copy. SFC may not solve every problem, but it's a good start that anyone can do.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.