Possible to restore image to unpartitioned and unformatted HD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by webmal, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webmal

webmal Registered Member

I like to wipe my hard disk with DBAN before installing my images. I only have one partition on one hard disk. Therefore, is it possible to restore an image to an unpartitioned and unformatted hard disk?

Thank you.

Webmal

2. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

Absolutely. I was able to restore an image to a fresh out of the box hard drive using TI. The image was of a drive with two partitions, one of which was the Windows system partition.. It restored both to the new drive and was to boot up Windows with no problem.

3. webmal

webmal Registered Member

Let's assume your hd is 100GB and your data on those 2 partitions is only 25GB. I believe TI images the available data only (i.e. 25GB) and it also stores information about the partitions (partition table). Therefore, I best assume that TI is pretty smart since it created the balance of the file system (75GB)?

I find this fact pretty amazing. Have you tried running XP's chkdsk to test the integrity of your file system?

Thank you.

Regards,
    Webmal

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello webmal,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

"Let's assume your hd is 100GB and your data on those 2 partitions is only 25GB. I believe TI images the available data only (i.e. 25GB) and it also stores information about the partitions (partition table). Therefore, I best assume that TI is pretty smart since it created the balance of the file system (75GB)?"

Yep, you're right.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

5. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

webmal,

I did not test the integrity of my file system after restoring it. I had used only 18gb of a 60gb drive. The fact that Windows was able to boot up and I was able to run applications satisfied me. I did bring up Disk Management and everything looked kosher there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.